Re: [ellwood] Re: John Ellwood Dufton

    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 2, 2012
      On 2 Jan 2012 at 12:07, Gillian Mc Kenna wrote:

      > I have been aware of this will for some time now & have never been able to
      > connect Edmund to "our tree"!
      >
      > Looking back at my notes, I have found:
      >
      > Burial record in Dufton - 13/08/1803 Edmund Ellwood, Yeoman, age 81
      >
      > This means he was born 1722.
      >
      > Edmund Elwood bap 21/1/1722 Clifton & brother John bap 10/8/1732
      > Clifton, sons of John Elwood (no mention of mother). Other siblings
      > include:Jane, Ann, Dorothy, Mary 1 & 2, George.
      >
      > I did think that John the father was:
      >
      > John Elwood bap 14/10/1694 Dufton son of Edmond Elwood & Dorothy
      > Spedding.

      Val has been looking at it for most of the day, trying to find possible
      candidates for people mentioned in the 1803 will. When she's more or less
      done, We'll upload a report for others to compare with their data, and we can
      see which links we agree on, which we disagree on, and which need more
      evidence.

      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 8, 2015
        On 1 Jan 2012 at 15:33, O'Brien Family wrote:

        > The following extract may help or it may confuse some researchers particularly
        > as to who is now a relative of whom. It does explain as to how John Ellwood of
        > Dufton acquired his freeholdings in Dufton and I think it reasonable that
        > Edmund Ellwood and Ann Ellwood had no offspring or no surviving offspring at
        > the dating of the will. Infurance may also be drawn that Edmund Ellwood and
        > John Ellwood had sisters that married a John Harrison and a Thomas Dixon.

        Hi Graham,

        I hope you're still reading this!

        The recent discussions of Edmond Ellwood led me to turn up this will of a
        later Edmond that you posted here a few years ago.

        > Edmund ELLWOOD of Dufton, Westmorland, of sound mind.
        > Will dated 7 March 1803. Proved 21 Sept. 1803.
        > To wife Ann ELLWOOD, three pounds, one cow, feather bed, bedding, bedstead and
        > hangings round it that are in the upstairs room and for her to have the use
        > only of the rest of my household furniture during her natural life and at her
        > decease to go to my executors. To nephew John ELLWOOD all my freehold land
        > within the Manor of Dufton. To niece Ann THORNBORROW, wife of Robert
        > Thornborrow of Brampton Crofts Ends, £100. To nephew John DOBSON £30. To
        > nephews Thomas DOBSON, Nicholas DOBSON, George DOBSON, nieces Elizabeth
        > REDHEAD and Mary FIDLER, each £20. Should nephew George DOBSON be dead, his
        > share be equally divided amongst his brothers and sisters. To brother in law
        > John HARRISON of Church Brough £5. To brother in law Thomas DIXON £20. To
        > nephew Joseph DIXON, nieces Jane DIXON, Ann DOOD, Elizabeth FRANCIS, Dorothy
        > ROBINSON, Mary DIXON and Isable DIXON £15 each. To niece Elizabeth THOMPSON
        > £60. All the rest to brother John ELLWOOD and nephew John ELLWOOD, joint
        > Executors. Edmund ELLWOOD signed 7 March 1803. Witnesses: Thos ELLWOOD, George
        > SIDDLE, John HOBSON. [Family History Library microfilm 90522]

        We have compiled a rough tree of this family from the will and other
        information, but have been unable to link it to any other Ellwoods. I was
        just wondering if you had made any progress with this branch.

        I gather you are descended from Thomas Edmund Ellwood, whom I mentioned a few
        days ago, since someone had combined him with two other people and married
        him off to a couple of extra wives on FamilySearch.