Re: Mark Ellwood

    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 19, 2011
      Hi All,

      I have interesting news about Mark Ellwood who married Elizabeth Hodgson in Brough under Stainmore!!

      You all probably remember that we puzzled over the marriage of Mark Ellwood baptised 19/04/1764 Dufton son of Mark & Anne Loadman to Elizabeth Hodgson 12/03/1781 Brough under Stainmore. If Mark was baptised just after being born, this would make him 17 at the time of marriage.

      I had been in contact with Susan Harvey (descendant of Henry son of Mark) for a while & we exchanged a lot of Mark info over the years but we were always stuck with the age problem! It was when I got in contact with Sarah Dyer through Genesreunited that more info was available. Sarah very kindly provided a marriage record of Henry Ellwood b1795 (son of Mark & Elizabeth) and various photos supplied to her by Richard Raven. Most interestingly was the extract of a letter written by Anthony Ellwood great grandson of Mark explaining that Mark (of Brough Westmorland)died after falling from his horse three months before his son Henry was born in 1795. This would tie up with the inquest report I found in the national archives dated 7/6/1795. There is a burial record in familysearch for a Mark Ellwood in Brough dated 8/6/1795, however, the age of death is given as 54:

      name: Mark Ellwood
      gender: Male
      burial date: 08 Jun 1795
      burial place: Westmoreland, England
      age: 54
      birth date: 1741
      indexing project (batch) number: B00431-7
      system origin: England-EASy
      source film number: 1471684

      I have seen another example of a 3 being mistranscribed as a 5. I asked Chris, a researcher friend who lives in Kendal, to check the PRs but unfortunately he couldn't find the entry. Anyway if this is our Mark & he was "34" when he died, that would mean he was born in 1761 but baptised in 1764! The letter also states that the mother Elizabeth née Hodgson died when Henry was aged 2. He then lived with an aunt who died when he was seven. I don't know who this aunt is.

      Most recently, I have been in contact with Patricia Bludell (thro' GR again) & she sent me a photo of Mary Crickmore (wife of Henry Ellwood) & information she also received from Richard Raven. Unfortunately Richard Raven is nolonger with us.

      Anyway I thought that this is an exciting update to our mystery so felt that I had to update the Ellwood Yahoo group!!

      Merry Christmas to you all,

      Gillian

      PS: Will try & put the photos in my Ellwood album.

      --- In ellwood@yahoogroups.com, "Gillian Mc Kenna" <gillianmckenna@...> wrote:

      > Hi All,
      >
      > I have been in contact with Susan Harvey a descendant of Mark & she told me that she has never been able to find Mark's death record, despite hiring a researcher. However, she was told by another researcher Richard Raven that he died c1795 while his wife Elizabeth was pregnant with their last child Henry. A horse riding accident. Also Richard has Mark's year of birth as 1759. The problem is that no one knows where these data came from and unfortunately Richard has since passed away.
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > Gillian
      >
      > --- In ellwood@yahoogroups.com, "Gillian Mc Kenna" <gillianmckenna@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi All,
      > >
      > > Perhaps if we found Mark's death, it could shed some light on his year of birth.
      > >
      > > There is this record in familysearch which I cannot tie up to anyone:
      > >
      > > name: Mark Ellwood
      > > gender: Male
      > > burial date: 08 Jun 1795
      > > burial place: Westmoreland, England
      > > age: 54
      > > birth date: 1741
      > > indexing project (batch) number: B00431-7
      > > system origin: England-EASy
      > > source film number: 1471684
      > >
      > > It's not Mark son of Mark E & Anne Loadman but wonder if anyone knows who he is?
      > >
      > > Regards,
      > >
      > > Gillian
      > >
      > > --- In ellwood@yahoogroups.com, "Gillian Mc Kenna" <gillianmckenna@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hi Val,
      > > >
      > > > This is a question that has been bothering me for ages!!
      > > >
      > > > Another Ellwood researcher Susan who is descended from Mark & Elizabeth paid someone to look into this but no concrete evidence could be found. I suppose if he was born a while before he was baptised it could be possible and also the Ellwood family were in Brough under Stainmore for a while. There are only so many Marks to go round & the others are accounted for!
      > > >
      > > > We may never know for sure.
      > > >
      > > > Gillian

    • Val Hayes
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 19, 2011
        Thanks Gillian, this is very interesting - have a wonderful Christmas
        regards
        Val

        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 19, 2011
          On 19 Dec 2011 at 12:56, Gillian Mc Kenna wrote:

          > Anyway I thought that this is an exciting update to our mystery so felt that I
          > had to update the Ellwood Yahoo group!!

          Thanks very much indeed!

          Now we just have to work out who links to what in the tree!