Re: [ellwood] Re: John and Agnes Ellwood

    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 8, 2011
      On 7 Dec 2011 at 9:13, Gillian Mc Kenna wrote:

      > If someone has acess to other census returns, it would be interesting to see
      > if they can find TWO "John & Agnes Ellwood" families.
      >
      > Interestingly the John from 1881 was born in Crosby Ravensworth. Do you have
      > any further info about him?

      Thanks very much!

      I was interested in that family to be able to distinguish them and their
      descendants from the childten of another John and Agnes who lived in Cartmel,
      Lancashire.

      I've done a bit more digging, and think it was definitely the Thirnbeck -- in-
      laws were staying with them on a couple of censuses.

      John Ellwood's father appears to have been a John Ellwood who was born 1792
      in Kirkby Stephen, and apparently married Mary Shepherd of Appleby in 1816.

      The only John of the right age found in Kirkby Stephen is apparently the
      child of Mark Ellwood and Elizabeth Huck (according to FamilySearch).

      All this needs checking.

      But the children of John and Mary Ellwood were all born in Crosby
      Ravensworth, according to the censuses I was able to check. Of their
      children:

      Elizabeth married Henry MacKereth
      John married Agnes Thirnbeck (and the family moved to Yorkshire)
      Hannah married William Stockdale (and went farming in Wales)

      I might post more detailed information on the web site when I've done a bit
      more digging -- jkust wondered if anyone here was researching this family. I
      haven't managed to link them to any other Ellwoods so far.

      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 9, 2011
        Hi Steve,

        I have done a bit of digging myself.

        From census returns of John & Mary, the parents, I can see 5 children: Elizabeth b1821 Crosby Ravensworth, John b1825 CR, Margaret b1829 CR, Hannah b1832 CR & Agnes b1835 CR.

        Looking at the Crosby Ravensworth parish records, some but not all children were baptised at CR. I can see:

        William bap 12/02/1819 son John & Mary farmer of Scout Green (William d1820)
        Elizabeth bap 05/03/1821 dau John & Mary farmer of Scout Green
        Jane bap 12/10/1831 dau John & Mary farmer of Oddendale
        Hannah bap 06/09/1832 dau John & Mary farmer of Oddendale
        Agnes bap 14/6/1835 dau of John & Mary farmer of Oddendale.

        The only baptism of the son John I can see (familysearch) is in Orton 10/7/1825 and also in Orton for Margaret 03/05/1829 Orton. Orton is a village next door to CR. The family could have been living Scout Green CR, then Orton, then back to Oddendale in CR.

        John the father was born 1792 in either Kirkby Stephen (1851 census) or Kirkby Thore (1861 census)!! If William b1819 was the eldest son of John & Mary, it could be that John's father was called William also?? That's if they followed the traditional naming pattern.

        All for now!

        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 9, 2011
          On 9 Dec 2011 at 12:22, Gillian Mc Kenna wrote:

          > From census returns of John & Mary, the parents, I can see 5 children:
          > Elizabeth b1821 Crosby Ravensworth, John b1825 CR, Margaret b1829 CR, Hannah
          > b1832 CR & Agnes b1835 CR.
          >
          > Looking at the Crosby Ravensworth parish records, some but not all children
          > were baptised at CR. I can see:
          >
          > William bap 12/02/1819 son John & Mary farmer of Scout Green (William d1820)
          > Elizabeth bap 05/03/1821 dau John & Mary farmer of Scout Green Jane bap
          > 12/10/1831 dau John & Mary farmer of Oddendale Hannah bap 06/09/1832 dau John
          > & Mary farmer of Oddendale Agnes bap 14/6/1835 dau of John & Mary farmer of
          > Oddendale.
          >
          > The only baptism of the son John I can see (familysearch) is in Orton
          > 10/7/1825 and also in Orton for Margaret 03/05/1829 Orton. Orton is a village
          > next door to CR. The family could have been living Scout Green CR, then Orton,
          > then back to Oddendale in CR.

          Yes, that seems to be OK, and that seems to be the John who married Agnest
          Thirnbeck.

          > John the father was born 1792 in either Kirkby Stephen (1851 census) or Kirkby
          > Thore (1861 census)!! If William b1819 was the eldest son of John & Mary, it
          > could be that John's father was called William also?? That's if they followed
          > the traditional naming pattern.

          Trouble is, the only likely John on FamilySearch was baptised in Kirkby
          Stephen, and shown as the son of Mark and Elizabeth, who seem to have not
          other connections.

          But there are also two earlier John Ellwoods who married Agneses:

          John Ellwood born in Brampton about 1797 married an Agnes Hoggarth born in
          Cartmel, Lancashire about 1797. They were married in Kendal in 1826, and had
          two daughters, Margaret and Agnes.

          Margaret and Agnes two brothers, Anthony and Thomas Barnes and both had
          families. Agnes Ellwood (born Hoggarth) was staying with her daughter
          Margaret in the 1881 census, and died in 1892. They all lived at Strickland
          Ketel.

          Quite straightforward, until you look at the Hoggarth side. There is a niece,
          Agnes Hoggarth (aged 3) staying with John and Agnes Ellwood in the 1851
          census, born in Kendal. OK, she could be a daughter of Agnes senior's
          brother, but in 1862 she appears, aged 13, staying with one of the Barnes
          brothers, as a servant. And also with them is yet another Agnes Ellwood, aged
          15, born in Ambleside.

          The younger of these appears to be the daughter of Henry and Mary, baptised
          in Kendal in 1847. But there are TWO Henrys and Marys, one couple married in
          1830 and the other in 1835. And one one of these couples had a son called
          John Ellwood Hoggarth, born 1841, died 1845. These Henry Hoggarths surely
          can't be brothers, though perhaps they might be cousins. So is Agnes born
          1847 the sister or perhaps the second cousin of John Ellwood Hoggarth, born
          1841?

          And then there is the OTHER John and Agnes Ellwood who lived in Cartmel,
          Lancashire (where Agnes Hoggarth is shown in the censuses as having been
          born). Was she yet another Agnes Hoggarth?

          The more we discover, the more confusing it seems to get!

        • Colin Jackson
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 11, 2011

            Hi to you both. Our interest in the Ellwood family stems from Colin’s Grandmother Mary Ann Anderson Ellwood whom we have been able to race back to Dufton, due to both Bruce Morrison’s research and that of Adrian Taylor. I can’t connect John Ellwood 1792 to the family except by reference to his baptism record on the Mormon site, son of Mark Ellwood and Elizabeth Huck; but I can’t find their marriage record. Another visit to the records office in Whitehaven or Kendal is necessary, I think. I did a lot of research on the Ellwood and Pickering family about six years ago and have left it alone since to concentrate on my family history. You have renewed our interest.

            I have posted my photo, on your site, of a plaque in Dufton Church. It reads’ Mr Jno Ellwood by deed dated July 16th 1835 gave £6 6s out of Sandrigg’s Estate to be distributed every Christmas Day as follows,viz.:to 10 poor widows or poor householders of the Parish of Dufton, also to 5 poor widows or householders of the township of Knock 5s and a half stone loaf of the finest Wheaten Bread each. The overplus to be appropriated towards the education of poor widows’ sons of the Parish of Dufton at Dufton school’. I wonder if this is the same John? It’s not clear whether or not this is part of his inheritance or a good will gesture during his lifetime. What do you think?

            Best wishes Hilary

            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 12, 2011
              Hi Hilary,

              I haven't come across Mark Ellwood & Elizabeth Huck in my research up until now. How are they connected to the Dufton Ellwoods?

              Regarding the plaque in the church in Dufton, The John Ellwood who set up this charity was born in 1721 Dufton the son of Thomas Ellwood & Mary Westmorland. This family farmed at Sandriggs Dufton. John b1762 married Alpha Draper 26/6/1766 in Whitehaven. John died 6/6/1837 Whitehaven. He left a will which details the charity. John & Alpha had no issue.

              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 15, 2011
                On 12 Dec 2011 at 10:28, Gillian Mc Kenna wrote:

                > I haven't come across Mark Ellwood & Elizabeth Huck in my research up until
                > now. How are they connected to the Dufton Ellwoods?

                Only that they are shown as the parents of the John Ellwood who was baptised
                at Kirkby Stephen in 1792, and this John Ellwood appears to be the father of
                the one who married Agnes Thirnbeck.