Re: FRANCIS ELWOOD(ELLWOOD)BORN1813 ONTARIO CANADA

    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 10, 2011
      Hi Barbie,

      Welcome to the group.

      Do you have Francis Ellwood b1813 in any census?

      I tried looking for him in 1881 but can't see him.

      I presume you only have "England" as place of birth?

      Also I think that Canadian death records are quite good as they give parents names??

      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 10, 2011
        Ah here he is:

        1881 Census of Canada
        Name: Frances Ellwood
        Gender: Male
        Marital Status: Widowed
        Age: 67
        Birth Year: 1814
        Birthplace: England
        Religion: Methodist
        Nationality: English
        Occupation: Farmer
        Province: Ontario
        District Number: 157
        District: Norfolk South
        Sub-District Number: A
        Subdistrict: Houghton
        Division: 1
        Household Members: Name Age
        Frances Ellwood 67
        Nancy Halbert 34 (Housekeeper)
        Skovellen Halbert 5
        John Halbert 2

        And

        1871 Census of Canada
        Name: Francis Ellwood
        Gender: Male
        Age: 57
        Birth Year: abt 1814
        Birth Place: England
        Marital Status: Married
        Religion: Methodist
        Origin: English
        Province: Ontario
        District: Welland
        District Number: 19
        Subdistrict: Fort Erie
        Subdistrict Number: d
        Neighbors: View others on page
        Household Members: Name Age
        Francis Ellwood 57
        Mary Ann Ellwood 55
        William Ellwood 11
        Elizabeth Ellwood 12

        Parents born England, children Ontario.

        Also

        1891 Census of Canada

        Name: Francis Elwood
        Gender: Male
        Marital Status: Married
        Age: 77
        Birth Year: abt 1814
        Birthplace: England
        Relation to Head of House: Head
        Religion: Methodist
        French Canadian: No
        Father's Birth Place: England
        Mother's Birth Place: England
        Province: Ontario
        District Number: 97
        District: Norfolk South
        Subdistrict: Houghton
        Neighbors: View others on page
        Household Members: Name Age
        Francis Elwood 77
        Nancy Albert 48 (Widow) - housekeeper

        And his death:

        Ontario, Canada, Deaths, 1869-1938 and Deaths Overseas, 1939-1947
        Name: Francis Olson
        [Francis Elwood]
        Death Date: 19 Jun 1896
        Death County or District: Norfolk
        Age: 83
        Gender: Male
        Estimated Birth Year: abt 1813
        Birth Location: England

        Source Citation: Archives of Ontario, Series MS935, Reel 80

        Occupation - Farmer
        died of inflammation of bowel - ill for 5 days

        Doesn't help with where he came from though, unfortunately!

        Gillian

        --- In ellwood@yahoogroups.com, "Gillian Mc Kenna" <gillianmckenna@...> wrote:

        > Hi Barbie,
        >
        > Welcome to the group.
        >
        > Do you have Francis Ellwood b1813 in any census?
        >
        > I tried looking for him in 1881 but can't see him.
        >
        > I presume you only have "England" as place of birth?
        >
        > Also I think that Canadian death records are quite good as they give parents names??
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > Gillian
        >
        > --- In ellwood@yahoogroups.com, "barbiedemers" <barbiedemers@> wrote:
        > >

        > > --- In ellwood@yahoogroups.com, Frank Erskine <frank.erskine@> wrote:

        > > GREATGRANDFATHER FRANCIS ELWOOD BORN : 1813 ENGLAND .
        > > DIED : JUNE 19 1896 HOUGHTON TWP. NORFOLK COUNTY ( WELLAND AREA ) ONTARIO CANADA.
        > > FIRST WIFE MARY ANN BORN :1816 DIED : MAY 31 1878.
        > > SECOND WIFE ? NANCY HALBERT BORN 1848 DIED SEPT 17 1921
        > > SON AMOS FRANCIS ELWOOD BORN :AUG 8 1883
        > > DIED WINDSOR ON 1955
        > > AMOS FRANCIS MARRIED CECILE EMERY.
        > > HOPE THIS IS EASIER TO READ. I'M A NOVICE AT THS. P.S. I LOVE CAPS SORRY
        > > THANK YOU FRANK FOR YOUR HELP . BLESSINGS BARBIE DEMERS
        > >

        > > > I wonder if it might be possible to add a bit of punctuation and
        > > > restructure this sentence into a few "family groups"...
        > > >
        > > > TBH, it's extremely difficult to decide who is related to what!
        > > >
        > > > Sorry :-)
        > > >
        > > > ps - also "shouting" in all upper case is very difficult to read.
        > > >
        > > > --
        > > > Frank Erskine
        > > > Sunderland

      • BARBIE DEMERS
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 11, 2011
          THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP ! I RELLY APPRECIATE YOU TAKING THE TIME  BLESSINGS BARBIE