Re: FRANCIS ELWOOD(ELLWOOD)BORN1813 ONTARIO CANADA

  • barbiedemers
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 9, 2011
      --- In ellwood@yahoogroups.com, Frank Erskine <frank.erskine@...> wrote:

      > On Wed, 09 Nov 2011 21:12:12 -0000, you wrote:
      >
      > >SEARCHING FOR IMFO ON :
      GREATGRANDFATHER FRANCIS ELWOOD BORN : 1813 ENGLAND .
      DIED : JUNE 19 1896 HOUGHTON TWP. NORFOLK COUNTY ( WELLAND AREA ) ONTARIO CANADA.
      FIRST WIFE MARY ANN BORN :1816 DIED : MAY 31 1878.
      SECOND WIFE ? NANCY HALBERT BORN 1848 DIED SEPT 17 1921
      SON AMOS FRANCIS ELWOOD BORN :AUG 8 1883
      DIED WINDSOR ON 1955
      AMOS FRANCIS MARRIED CECILE EMERY.
      HOPE THIS IS EASIER TO READ. I'M A NOVICE AT THS. P.S. I LOVE CAPS SORRY
      THANK YOU FRANK FOR YOUR HELP . BLESSINGS BARBIE DEMERS

      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 10, 2011
        Hi Barbie,

        Welcome to the group.

        Do you have Francis Ellwood b1813 in any census?

        I tried looking for him in 1881 but can't see him.

        I presume you only have "England" as place of birth?

        Also I think that Canadian death records are quite good as they give parents names??

        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 10, 2011
          Ah here he is:

          1881 Census of Canada
          Name: Frances Ellwood
          Gender: Male
          Marital Status: Widowed
          Age: 67
          Birth Year: 1814
          Birthplace: England
          Religion: Methodist
          Nationality: English
          Occupation: Farmer
          Province: Ontario
          District Number: 157
          District: Norfolk South
          Sub-District Number: A
          Subdistrict: Houghton
          Division: 1
          Household Members: Name Age
          Frances Ellwood 67
          Nancy Halbert 34 (Housekeeper)
          Skovellen Halbert 5
          John Halbert 2

          And

          1871 Census of Canada
          Name: Francis Ellwood
          Gender: Male
          Age: 57
          Birth Year: abt 1814
          Birth Place: England
          Marital Status: Married
          Religion: Methodist
          Origin: English
          Province: Ontario
          District: Welland
          District Number: 19
          Subdistrict: Fort Erie
          Subdistrict Number: d
          Neighbors: View others on page
          Household Members: Name Age
          Francis Ellwood 57
          Mary Ann Ellwood 55
          William Ellwood 11
          Elizabeth Ellwood 12

          Parents born England, children Ontario.

          Also

          1891 Census of Canada

          Name: Francis Elwood
          Gender: Male
          Marital Status: Married
          Age: 77
          Birth Year: abt 1814
          Birthplace: England
          Relation to Head of House: Head
          Religion: Methodist
          French Canadian: No
          Father's Birth Place: England
          Mother's Birth Place: England
          Province: Ontario
          District Number: 97
          District: Norfolk South
          Subdistrict: Houghton
          Neighbors: View others on page
          Household Members: Name Age
          Francis Elwood 77
          Nancy Albert 48 (Widow) - housekeeper

          And his death:

          Ontario, Canada, Deaths, 1869-1938 and Deaths Overseas, 1939-1947
          Name: Francis Olson
          [Francis Elwood]
          Death Date: 19 Jun 1896
          Death County or District: Norfolk
          Age: 83
          Gender: Male
          Estimated Birth Year: abt 1813
          Birth Location: England

          Source Citation: Archives of Ontario, Series MS935, Reel 80

          Occupation - Farmer
          died of inflammation of bowel - ill for 5 days

          Doesn't help with where he came from though, unfortunately!

          Gillian

          --- In ellwood@yahoogroups.com, "Gillian Mc Kenna" <gillianmckenna@...> wrote:

          > Hi Barbie,
          >
          > Welcome to the group.
          >
          > Do you have Francis Ellwood b1813 in any census?
          >
          > I tried looking for him in 1881 but can't see him.
          >
          > I presume you only have "England" as place of birth?
          >
          > Also I think that Canadian death records are quite good as they give parents names??
          >
          > Regards,
          >
          > Gillian
          >
          > --- In ellwood@yahoogroups.com, "barbiedemers" <barbiedemers@> wrote:
          > >

          > > --- In ellwood@yahoogroups.com, Frank Erskine <frank.erskine@> wrote:

          > > GREATGRANDFATHER FRANCIS ELWOOD BORN : 1813 ENGLAND .
          > > DIED : JUNE 19 1896 HOUGHTON TWP. NORFOLK COUNTY ( WELLAND AREA ) ONTARIO CANADA.
          > > FIRST WIFE MARY ANN BORN :1816 DIED : MAY 31 1878.
          > > SECOND WIFE ? NANCY HALBERT BORN 1848 DIED SEPT 17 1921
          > > SON AMOS FRANCIS ELWOOD BORN :AUG 8 1883
          > > DIED WINDSOR ON 1955
          > > AMOS FRANCIS MARRIED CECILE EMERY.
          > > HOPE THIS IS EASIER TO READ. I'M A NOVICE AT THS. P.S. I LOVE CAPS SORRY
          > > THANK YOU FRANK FOR YOUR HELP . BLESSINGS BARBIE DEMERS
          > >

          > > > I wonder if it might be possible to add a bit of punctuation and
          > > > restructure this sentence into a few "family groups"...
          > > >
          > > > TBH, it's extremely difficult to decide who is related to what!
          > > >
          > > > Sorry :-)
          > > >
          > > > ps - also "shouting" in all upper case is very difficult to read.
          > > >
          > > > --
          > > > Frank Erskine
          > > > Sunderland

        • BARBIE DEMERS
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 11, 2011
            THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP ! I RELLY APPRECIATE YOU TAKING THE TIME  BLESSINGS BARBIE