340Re: [ellwood] Re: George Ellwood, born 1788 in Cartmell

  • Nicola Thwaite
    Jul 27, 2014
      Hi Jeremy,
      Yes, I've got digital images of the record for the Ellwood-Long marriage in both PR and BT as Ancestry now have a lot of original records from Lancs parishes digitised (though sadly not the ones now in Cumbria).  I'll send them through with the BNA records tomorrow when I'm on laptop rather than tablet.

      I haven't looked for Margaret's baptism yet, as I'm still working on closer relatives, but she's 'of Scotforth' at the time of her marriage, so there's not necessarily any link with Cartmel.  But of course, it's possible she is a Cartmel lass who moved down to Lancaster for work so your match may be right.

      Sent from my iPad

      On 27 Jul 2014, at 17:05, "jerrywh57@... [ellwood]" <ellwood@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Hi Nicola,

      Yes, that would make us 4th cousins once removed by my reckoning.

      I would appreciate it if you could send me the references to George that you found in the newspaper archive. I do remember seeing one reference to an auction held at the Packet Boat but I'd be interested to see more.

      Do you (or anyone else) have a copy of the marriage of James ELLWOOD to Margaret LONG in Lancaster that seemed to emanate from Peter ELLWOOD? Annoyingly a search of Ancestry shows a thumbnail of it but if you click on it to view the actual document it says that tree has been removed.

      I found a baptism for a Margaret LONG in the Cartmel Lancs OPC records (7 Apr 1766, daughter of Nicholas LONG of Cartmel Fell). Any thoughts on whether this could be James's 2nd wife? The date is just about spot on for the age at burial of James's widow in Cartmel in 1821.

      Regar ds,

      ---In ellwood@yahoogroups.com, <hayesstw@...> wrote :

      Welcome to a new member, who is interested in George Ellwood, born 1788 in
      Cartmell, Lancashire.

      Please introduce yourself and your research, in case anyone else connects.

      We believe George was the son of John Ellwood, spouse unknown, and we know
      nothing of the descendants of George or his siblings, so it would be very
      interesting to learn what you have.

      Blog: http://hayesgreene.wordpress.com
      Web: http://www.khanya.org.za/famhist1.htm