329Re: George Ellwood, born 1788 in Cartmell

  • jerrywh57
    Jul 22 4:23 PM
      Hello,

      My name is Jeremy Hughes, thank you for letting me join your group.

      George Elwood is my great (x3) grandfather. My mother was an Elwood (her branch of the family pretty consistently stuck with one l, apart from one rogue uncle who insisted on using two) and I have been researching her family for a good number of years now.

      I had a pretty full and detailed tree back as far as George Elwood b.1788 in Cartmel/Allithwaite, and I was aware of his brother James who was 2 years younger. For a number of years I have been stuck at that point but have recently seen the latest Cartmel records added to Lancs OPC. Thanks to that I now know that George was the son of James Ellwood the blacksmith from Allithwaite and his first wife Mary. From Lancs OPC I have pieced together James’s other children from his two marriages and it also seems clear that James was the son of Samuel who married Hannah Barrow in Allithwaite in 1752 and I have their family now too.

      It seems slightly less certain that this Samuel is the same one as born in Dufton in 1726, I’d be interested to hear how certain you think that is?

      George married Mary Burn in Heysham in 1826 and was an innkeeper at the Packet Boat Inn in Bolton-le-Sands where he died (so yes Steve the George that Nicola quoted info for is mine). His descendants mainly stayed in Lancashire and my mothers branch were mostly from Lancaster, where I too was born.

      There’s a family story that the Elwoods had a claim on Uldale Hall in Cumberland and my great grandfather Richard wanted to pursue the case but didn’t have the money to take it to a higher court. I’ve done some research and the claim would seem to come through George’s wife Mary Burn whose brother owned Uldale Hall. The estate passed to an illegitimate daughter and that seems to have been the bone of contention. Anyway, that’s for another day.

      I have placed a descendants report from George Elwood and a very simplified tree showing only the Elwood names in the Files section for your perusal.

      Jeremy
    • Show all 10 messages in this topic