325Re: [ellwood] Ellwood baptisms in Lancashire

  • Nicola Thwaite
    Jul 21, 2014
      Dear Steve,
      Thanks for the baptisms.   Some of them I already have, but others look new.

      Coincidentally I stumbled across George Ellwood yesterday while searching the British Newspaper Archive for BMD etc.
      There were a couple of references to a GE of the Packet Boat Inn in Bolton Le Sands auctioning land, including some belonging to James Ellwood, deceased of Allithwaite (probably the blacksmith).  So I looked this George up in the censuses and he looks very much like the son of James.
      In 1841 he is 50 (50-54), publican, living with Richard, 20, tailor, Elizabeth, 15, Mary, 13.
      In 1851 he is widower, 62, b. Cartmel, 'Proprietor of houses and lands' living with brother James, unmarried, 60, labourer.
      In 1861 he is 72, b. Allithwaite, retired farmer, living with granddaughter Mary Ellwood, 17, b. Bolton le Sands
      Probate register 9 August 1864 'George Elwood ... Gentleman deceased who died 25 April 1864 at Bolton-le-Sands' ... with George Davis and James Birkett, farmers as executors.

      I haven't looked systematically yet for his family, but Ancestry immediately threw up images from Lancs Archives for four christenings at Bolton for children of George and Mary Ellwood/Elwood - James (1818), Richard (1820), Elizabeth (1823) and Mary (1828) - and a likely marriage: George Ellwood to Mary Burn at Heysham 7 Nov 1816. Unfortunately the marriage image (from the BT) is quite faint, but it looks like 'George Ellwood of Burton in Westmorland' [presumably Burton-in-Kendal?] to Mary Burn OTP.
      Mary, the granddaughter, seems to be the daughter of their son Richard, chr at Bolton Le Sands, 1843.

      I'm now going back to more direct ancestors rather than being distracted more by George, but this might set you and Val on his trail ...
      Nicola

    • Show all 3 messages in this topic