300John Ellwood married Jane Coulthred

    May 7, 2014
      On 9 Apr 2014 at 4:33, nicola.thwaite1@btopenworld.c wrote:

      > Dear all,
      > I've picked up on this old message because I've been looking further into
      > John Ellwood (b. 1753), son of Samuel Ellwood and Hannah Barrow and I've got
      > some different information from that given here, including a more likely
      > death date for John. I thought I'd share it in case it's of interest to
      > anyone else looking into this line.
      >

      > >i. John Ellwood. He was born 1754 in Kendal. He married Jane Coultherd. They
      > were married on 19 May >1776 [10]. He died on 01 Dec 1842 in Kendal [10].
      > >Occupation was Husbandman [10]. John was christened in Cartmel on 17 June
      > 1753, the son of Samuel of Upper Newton (Lancs OPC). This makes sense
      > because Samuel and Hannah were married at Cartmel in Nov 1752, with Samuel's
      > bond listing him as shoemaker of Newton; they are confirmed as the right
      > couple because Samuel and Hannah were named as paternal grandparents when
      > John's son Timothy was christened at Underbarrow in 1779.
      >
      > John and his son Timothy were farming at Moss End farm, near Lindale, in the
      > late 18th and early 19th century (info from land tax and christenings of
      > Timothy's children) and I have recently seen an image of the register listing
      > the admin of "John Ellwood of Moss End", which is in the National Archives IR
      > 26/312/792. The admin is dated 28 Feb 1803, with the administratrix being
      > John's widow Jane [i.e. Jane Coulthard or Coultherd]. I don't yet know
      > exactly when John died (Cartmel burials aren't on Lancs OPC for this date yet)
      > but it seems that he died in late 1802/early 1803 and is therefore not the
      > 1842 death in Kendal.

      I'm not sure who said what here, as the attributions seem to be somewhat
      mixed up.

      I have recorded this in our notes as:

[...]

      the 1842 death in Kendal. (E-mail from Gillian McKenna on Ellwood list 14 Apr
      2014)."

      Is that information correct? Did this come from Nicola Thwaite or Gillian
      McKenna?

      This is one of the links we are trying to work out - was Samuel Ellwood, the
      father of John the same Samuel who was son of Edmund Ellwoodn and Elizabeth
      Robinson?