266new member - Cartmel Ellwoods

  • Nicola Thwaite
    Dec 30, 2013
      Hello everyone and thanks for letting me join the group, especially as a search of your email/file archive may already have answered my first question!

      My Ellwood link comes through my paternal grandmother.  Her great-grandmother (so my 3xGGM) was Mary Ellwood of Cartmel (1811-1895) who married John Preston at Cartmel 16 May 1830; they farmed in Upper Allithwaite. I believe Mary was the daughter of Timothy Ellwood (1779-1861) and Mary Withers (1782-1842) who married at Cartmel 25 Oct 1801.

      Timothy was christened at Underbarrow, near Kendal on 18 Mar 1779 and the listing on IGI helpfully names not only both parents - John and Jane - but also his grandparents, Samuel and Hannah Ellwood. So it seems his parents are John Ellwood (1753-1842) who married Jane Coulthard (b. 1753) at Underbarrow 12 May  and his grandparents Samuel Ellwood (1726?-1811) and Hannah Barrow (1732-1811) who married 8 Nov 1752 at Cartmel, where Samuel was a shoemaker according to the marriage bond.

      This is where I had stopped: I'm on Ancestry, where quite a lot of trees link Samuel with the son of Edmund christened at Dufton 13 Oct 1726. I was treating this with caution as I've found that people often assume that if someone is the only match on IGI then that must be their ancestor, and Dufton isn't that close to Kendal. So I was hoping to find some information that might confirm or disprove the Dufton link.  Having looked at your email trail, it seems that this is probably correct and that I was being overcautious! And as he's not mentioned in the 1741 removal order (thank you Gillian for putting the photo up), he had presumably left already (to learn his trade?) but it certainly explains why he didn't return to Dufton. So thanks already for the information in the group files; I look forward to working my way through it properly.   And if anyone has any other information about Samuel and his family, I would really appreciate it.  I'm based in the East Midlands and currently working with the limitations of online/printed resources, although I hope to visit the Cumbria archives at some stage.

      Best wishes and I look forward to sharing information with you all.
      Nicola Thwaite
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic