      Sent: Saturday, January 14, 2012 3:37 AM
      Subject: [ellwood] Re: Peter Ellwood's chart

      Hi

      According to the National Archives, Edmund & family were in Bolton in 1742:

      [no title or date] WQ/SR/154/1

      These documents are held at Cumbria Record Office, Kendal

      Contents:
      Petition of Edmund Ellwood of Bolton: has wife and 2 small children in extreme poverty, was blacksmith but because of misfortune had to sell tools, would willingly work if possible, desires overseers to find tools or allow him allowance.
      Date: 1742

      Gillian

      --- In ellwood@yahoogroups.com, "Gillian Mc Kenna" <gillianmckenna@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > I have found written in my notes that Elizabeth died shortly after their removal from Dufton aged 43. Don't have a burial record though.
      >
      > Gillian
      >
      > --- In ellwood@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Hayes" <hayesstw@> wrote:
      > >
      > > On 13 Jan 2012 at 9:17, G ROBERTS wrote:
      > >
      > > > Peter Ellwood used to work for the British Council in Sweden/Norway. I believe
      > > > he has since retired and is back in the UK. He appears on his chart on page 5
      > > > as a descendant of John Hassall Ellwood. I think he has a presence on Genes
      > > > Reunited.
      > >
      > > Ah, I see him there -- Peter David Roger, I presume?
      > >
      > > >   I have only checked his work as far back as the marriage of
      > > > Daniel Ellwood and Hannah Crewdson on page 4, and I agree with what Peter
      > > > says as far as their descendants are concerned.
      > >
      > > We haven't got as far as that on his sheets, though we have looked at some of
      > > the descendants for Daniel and Hannah (and some of the information we have
      > > came from you, so hope you can check the descendant sheets to see if we have
      > > got it right).
      > >
      > > There were some problems with some of the descendants of Daniel's older
      > > brother Samuel, but there were quite a lot of them !
      > >
      > > > There is a question about why
      > > > Daniel seems to suddenly appear in the Kendal area.   There are several
      > > > documents available in the Cumbrian archives (which are catalogued through
      > > > Access to Archives on the National Archives website) concerning an
      > > > economically troubled Ellwood family in the Dufton area, who have a son Daniel
      > > > (among other children). The father and mother are named as Edmund and
      > > > Elizabeth Ellwood. It seems likely that the family moved away from Dufton
      > > > because their stock was so low in the area (...the records include details of
      > > > Edmund being whipped  for the theft of a prayer book).   I cannot speak for
      > > > the accuracy of Peter's work in other areas, except to say that his work on
      > > > the descendants of Daniel Ellwood and Hannah Crewdson has given me no reason
      > > > for doubt.   Regards Guy
      > >
      > > I think we have found Elizabeth's death in Bolton. Haven't found Edmund's
      > > death, though.

    • Show all 16 messages in this topic