150Re: John Ellwood Dufton

    Jan 2, 2012
      Hello All & Happy New Year!!

      I have been aware of this will for some time now & have never been able to connect Edmund to "our tree"!

      Looking back at my notes, I have found:

      Burial record in Dufton - 13/08/1803 Edmund Ellwood, Yeoman, age 81

      This means he was born 1722.

      Edmund Elwood bap 21/1/1722 Clifton & brother John bap 10/8/1732
      Clifton, sons of John Elwood (no mention of mother). Other siblings
      include:Jane, Ann, Dorothy, Mary 1 & 2, George.

      I did think that John the father was:

      John Elwood bap 14/10/1694 Dufton son of Edmond Elwood & Dorothy
      Spedding.

      Edmond Elwood b1666 son of Christopher & Jane Gargatt.

      Edmond Elwood & Dorothy Spedding married in Clifton hence the
      Clifton connection. Maybe Edmund inherited property & moved back to Dufton?

      However, I have John married to Ann Hutchinson (1695) in Ousby in 1715, with children Elizabeth (1716), Thomas (1718), Agnes (1720), John (1722), Anne (1724), Hannah (1727), Mary (1729) and Margaret (1732) all baptised in Dufton. This is only a theory, which I have not proved either way, and have therefore not put on my tree.

      Edmund's will of 1730 is not very legible, but as far as I can make out the beneficiaries are his surviving wife Ann (Rudd); son William (1702); grandchildren Thomas (1715), Edward (1721), Ann (1720) & Jane (1724); son-in-law John Pearson - married to daughter Frances (1690); daughter Dorothy (1706); John as administrator for Edmund (1700); Thomas (1697); with the remainder to John (1694).

      Any thoughts?