140Re: [ellwood] Re: John and Agnes Ellwood

    Dec 9, 2011
      On 9 Dec 2011 at 12:22, Gillian Mc Kenna wrote:

      > From census returns of John & Mary, the parents, I can see 5 children:
      > Elizabeth b1821 Crosby Ravensworth, John b1825 CR, Margaret b1829 CR, Hannah
      > b1832 CR & Agnes b1835 CR.
      >
      > Looking at the Crosby Ravensworth parish records, some but not all children
      > were baptised at CR. I can see:
      >
      > William bap 12/02/1819 son John & Mary farmer of Scout Green (William d1820)
      > Elizabeth bap 05/03/1821 dau John & Mary farmer of Scout Green Jane bap
      > 12/10/1831 dau John & Mary farmer of Oddendale Hannah bap 06/09/1832 dau John
      > & Mary farmer of Oddendale Agnes bap 14/6/1835 dau of John & Mary farmer of
      > Oddendale.
      >
      > The only baptism of the son John I can see (familysearch) is in Orton
      > 10/7/1825 and also in Orton for Margaret 03/05/1829 Orton. Orton is a village
      > next door to CR. The family could have been living Scout Green CR, then Orton,
      > then back to Oddendale in CR.

      Yes, that seems to be OK, and that seems to be the John who married Agnest
      Thirnbeck.

      > John the father was born 1792 in either Kirkby Stephen (1851 census) or Kirkby
      > Thore (1861 census)!! If William b1819 was the eldest son of John & Mary, it
      > could be that John's father was called William also?? That's if they followed
      > the traditional naming pattern.

      Trouble is, the only likely John on FamilySearch was baptised in Kirkby
      Stephen, and shown as the son of Mark and Elizabeth, who seem to have not
      other connections.

      But there are also two earlier John Ellwoods who married Agneses:

      John Ellwood born in Brampton about 1797 married an Agnes Hoggarth born in
      Cartmel, Lancashire about 1797. They were married in Kendal in 1826, and had
      two daughters, Margaret and Agnes.

      Margaret and Agnes two brothers, Anthony and Thomas Barnes and both had
      families. Agnes Ellwood (born Hoggarth) was staying with her daughter
      Margaret in the 1881 census, and died in 1892. They all lived at Strickland
      Ketel.

      Quite straightforward, until you look at the Hoggarth side. There is a niece,
      Agnes Hoggarth (aged 3) staying with John and Agnes Ellwood in the 1851
      census, born in Kendal. OK, she could be a daughter of Agnes senior's
      brother, but in 1862 she appears, aged 13, staying with one of the Barnes
      brothers, as a servant. And also with them is yet another Agnes Ellwood, aged
      15, born in Ambleside.

      The younger of these appears to be the daughter of Henry and Mary, baptised
      in Kendal in 1847. But there are TWO Henrys and Marys, one couple married in
      1830 and the other in 1835. And one one of these couples had a son called
      John Ellwood Hoggarth, born 1841, died 1845. These Henry Hoggarths surely
      can't be brothers, though perhaps they might be cousins. So is Agnes born
      1847 the sister or perhaps the second cousin of John Ellwood Hoggarth, born
      1841?

      And then there is the OTHER John and Agnes Ellwood who lived in Cartmel,
      Lancashire (where Agnes Hoggarth is shown in the censuses as having been
      born). Was she yet another Agnes Hoggarth?

      The more we discover, the more confusing it seems to get!