137Re: [ellwood] Re: John and Agnes Ellwood

    Dec 8, 2011
      On 7 Dec 2011 at 9:13, Gillian Mc Kenna wrote:

      > If someone has acess to other census returns, it would be interesting to see
      > if they can find TWO "John & Agnes Ellwood" families.
      > Interestingly the John from 1881 was born in Crosby Ravensworth. Do you have
      > any further info about him?

      Thanks very much!

      I was interested in that family to be able to distinguish them and their
      descendants from the childten of another John and Agnes who lived in Cartmel,

      I've done a bit more digging, and think it was definitely the Thirnbeck -- in-
      laws were staying with them on a couple of censuses.

      John Ellwood's father appears to have been a John Ellwood who was born 1792
      in Kirkby Stephen, and apparently married Mary Shepherd of Appleby in 1816.

      The only John of the right age found in Kirkby Stephen is apparently the
      child of Mark Ellwood and Elizabeth Huck (according to FamilySearch).

      All this needs checking.

      But the children of John and Mary Ellwood were all born in Crosby
      Ravensworth, according to the censuses I was able to check. Of their

      Elizabeth married Henry MacKereth
      John married Agnes Thirnbeck (and the family moved to Yorkshire)
      Hannah married William Stockdale (and went farming in Wales)

      I might post more detailed information on the web site when I've done a bit
      more digging -- jkust wondered if anyone here was researching this family. I
      haven't managed to link them to any other Ellwoods so far.