136Re: John and Agnes Ellwood

    Dec 7, 2011
      Hi Steve,

      Not all BMDs were registered at that time so it could be possible that John Ellwood & Agnes Thirnbeck's marriage was not registered. Looking at the original page for Agnes Parkinson, it definately is written Parkinson.

      Having looked at the 1881 census on familysearch, I can only find ONE John & Agnes Ellwood family. One son is called Christopher which might suggest the Thirnbeck origin:

      John ELLWOOD Head M Male 55 Crosby Ravensworth, Westmorland, England Farmer Of 129 Acres
      Agnes ELLWOOD Wife M Female 56 Kirkby Lonsdale, Westmorland, England Farmers Wife
      Mary Jane ELLWOOD Daur U Female 24 Kirkby Lonsdale, Westmorland, England Farmers Daur
      Christopher ELLWOOD Son U Male 21 Kirkby Lonsdale, Westmorland, England Farmers Son
      Edwin ELLWOOD Son U Male 18 Kirkby Lonsdale, Westmorland, England Farmers Son
      Agnes ELLWOOD Daur U Female 15 Kirkby Lonsdale, Westmorland, England Farmers Daur
      Elizb. Ann ELLWOOD Daur Female 11 Kirkby Lonsdale, Westmorland, England Scholar
      Dorothy Jane ELLWOOD Visitor Female 4 Kendal, Westmorland, England
      John Edward ELLWOOD Visitor Male 2 Kendal, Westmorland, England

      Source Information:
      Dwelling Hill Farm
      Census Place Sedburgh, York, England
      Family History Library Film 1342025
      Public Records Office Reference RG11
      Piece / Folio 4294 / 26
      Page Number 4

      If someone has acess to other census returns, it would be interesting to see if they can find TWO "John & Agnes Ellwood" families.

      Interestingly the John from 1881 was born in Crosby Ravensworth. Do you have any further info about him?