Parma Eldalamberon Issue No. 21 - announcement

  • cgilson75
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 31, 2013
      QENYA NOUN STRUCTURE Declension of Nouns Primitive Quendian: Final Consonants Common Eldarin: Noun Structure By J. R. R. Tolkien Edited by Christopher Gilson, Patrick H. Wynne and Arden R. Smith http://www.eldalamberon.com/parma21.html In this issue of Parma Eldalamberon  we present several linguistic pieces from the period between 1930 and 1950 treating the grammar of the Qenya noun and its origins. The "Declension of Nouns" from the early 1930s describes the formation of Qenya noun-stems and grammatical suffixes, their current and historical variants, and interrelated paradigms. The tables for these and many of the examples given are transcribed in Tengwar writing system as it existed at that time.  Associated with this work are various subsequent declension tables, which reflect further changes in Tolkien's conception of the Tengwar (and the noun inflexions) up to the middle of the 1930s. "Primitive Quendian: Final Consonants" is a text from 1936 in which Tolkien describes the connection between the distribution of final consonants in the primitive language with the etymological origins of the Qenya inflexions.  We present several associated texts that trace the conceptual development of this etymological background to the noun declensions into the 1940s. "Common Eldarin: Noun Structure" is the ultimate revision and elaboration of these materials, dating from circa 1950, with a few later revisions made in 1970.  It details the formation of noun and adjective stems and their syntactic features in the Common Eldarin period.  Tolkien also describes the emergence of semantic associations of various noun-stem types, and discusses their connection with the concept of lámatyáve and the Elves' giving and choosing of names. We now expect Parma Eldalamberon no. 21 to be available for shipping September 6, 2013.  The cost is $35 per copy, which includes delivery world-wide. To order please use the PayPal button on the webpage given above, or the following link: https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=6SKVVQ2KC5JYC I can also accept a check or money-order in U.S. funds, sent to: Christopher Gilson 1240 Dale Ave., No. 40 Mountain View, CA 94040 U.S.A.
    • cgilson75
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 31, 2013
        I apologize for this message being hard to read.  I am unclear why Yahoo clumps everything I typed into one paragraph and ignores the italicization I entered using the button in their input interface. But the words all seem to be there...  Christopher Gilson  --- In elfscript2@yahoogroups.com, <cgilson75@...> wrote: QENYA NOUN STRUCTURE Declension of Nouns Primitive Quendian: Final Consonants Common Eldarin: Noun Structure By J. R. R. Tolkien Edited by Christopher Gilson, Patrick H. Wynne and Arden R. Smith http://www.eldalamberon.com/parma21.html In this issue of Parma Eldalamberon  we present several linguistic pieces from the period between 1930 and 1950 treating the grammar of the Qenya noun and its origins. The "Declension of Nouns" from the early 1930s describes the formation of Qenya noun-stems and grammatical suffixes, their current and historical variants, and interrelated paradigms. The tables for these and many of the examples given are transcribed in Tengwar writing system as it existed at that time.  Associated with this work are various subsequent declension tables, which reflect further changes in Tolkien's conception of the Tengwar (and the noun inflexions) up to the middle of the 1930s. "Primitive Quendian: Final Consonants" is a text from 1936 in which Tolkien describes the connection between the distribution of final consonants in the primitive language with the etymological origins of the Qenya inflexions.  We present several associated texts that trace the conceptual development of this etymological background to the noun declensions into the 1940s. "Common Eldarin: Noun Structure" is the ultimate revision and elaboration of these materials, dating from circa 1950, with a few later revisions made in 1970.  It details the formation of noun and adjective stems and their syntactic features in the Common Eldarin period.  Tolkien also describes the emergence of semantic associations of various noun-stem types, and discusses their connection with the concept of lámatyáve and the Elves' giving and choosing of names. We now expect Parma Eldalamberon no. 21 to be available for shipping September 6, 2013.  The cost is $35 per copy, which includes delivery world-wide. To order please use the PayPal button on the webpage given above, or the following link: https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&amp;hosted_button_id=6SKVVQ2KC5JYC I can also accept a check or money-order in U.S. funds, sent to: Christopher Gilson 1240 Dale Ave., No. 40 Mountain View, CA 94040 U.S.A.