Re: [elfscript2] Some PE20 alternate interpretations and errata

  • j_mach_wust
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 5, 2013
      On 2013-03-05, at 10:48, Arden R. Smith wrote:

      > On Mar 4, 2013, at 10:12 AM, j_mach_wust wrote:
      >> Q12a, line 12: I think a more plausible reading is "question", not
      >> "catheter", especially since the table establishes suule as "s".
      >>
      > I should add that even though I'm convinced that Mach's interpretation
      > here is absolutely correct, the spelling itself is problematic. Since
      > we have calma representing English <ch> and quesse representing
      > English <qu>, how would <k> be spelt in this mode?

      I think _k_ would be just quesse, while _kw_ would really be quesse with w-tehta (in Q12, probably a plain left curl). While this is an unusual tehta to be missing (unlike, say, a single dot), it is not totally unheared of, cf. Q8b, line 10, and Q39c, line 6.

      --
      grĂ¼ess
      mach
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 20, 2013
        >(the number of known tengwar has almost quadrupled)
        In order to remove all ambiguity for those of us who haven't read it, does this refer to the corpus or distinct symbols?
      • Arden R. Smith
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 20, 2013
          On Mar 20, 2013, at 8:02 AM, congruwer wrote:

          > >(the number of known tengwar has almost quadrupled)
          > In order to remove all ambiguity for those of us who haven't read
          > it, does this refer to the corpus or distinct symbols?

          Mach was referring to the size of the corpus. _Parma Eldalamberon_ 20
          contains hardly any individual tengwar or tehtar that you haven't seen
          before.

          So what's new? Most of the documents in the volume use the mode seen
          in the previously published "Errantry" and "Tom Bombadil" texts (DTS
          16-18), but some documents display some unusual early usages, such as
          turned lambe with a value of [lj] (palatalized "l") in Q1 and Q2,
          previously seen in Qenyatic 1929. The volume also brings together an
          interesting mix of documents of various sorts, giving insights into
          Tolkien's activities and interests, written in a variety of
          calligraphic styles. Aficionados of tengwar calligraphy will
          especially appreciate this volume.

          Arden

          Arden R. Smith erilaz@...

          Perilme metto aimaktur perperienta.