Re: [elfscript2] Some PE20 alternate interpretations and errata

  • Arden R. Smith
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 5 12:10 AM
      On Mar 4, 2013, at 10:12 AM, j_mach_wust@... wrote:
      > I have been so overwhelmed by the tons of new material in PE20 (the
      > number of known tengwar has almost quadrupled) that only now I have
      > worked my way through all of it -- though as yet only very
      > superficially. As a first impression, here are a few alternate
      > interpretations and errata.

      I was going to write an item-by-item response to your post, but since
      I ended up agreeing with you on every single point (even those
      softened with "I think" and "probably"), I decided that would be
      overkill.

      Thanks for your feedback!

      Arden

      Arden R. Smith erilaz@...

      Perilme metto aimaktur perperienta.
      --Elvish proverb

    • Arden R. Smith
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 5 1:48 AM
        On Mar 4, 2013, at 10:12 AM, j_mach_wust@... wrote:
        > Q12a, line 12: I think a more plausible reading is "question", not
        > "catheter", especially since the table establishes suule as "s".

        I should add that even though I'm convinced that Mach's interpretation
        here is absolutely correct, the spelling itself is problematic. Since
        we have calma representing English <ch> and quesse representing
        English <qu>, how would <k> be spelt in this mode?

        Arden

        Arden R. Smith erilaz@...

        Perilme metto aimaktur perperienta.
        --Elvish proverb

      • j_mach_wust
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 5 8:07 AM
          On 2013-03-05, at 10:48, Arden R. Smith wrote:

          > On Mar 4, 2013, at 10:12 AM, j_mach_wust wrote:
          >> Q12a, line 12: I think a more plausible reading is "question", not
          >> "catheter", especially since the table establishes suule as "s".
          >>
          > I should add that even though I'm convinced that Mach's interpretation
          > here is absolutely correct, the spelling itself is problematic. Since
          > we have calma representing English <ch> and quesse representing
          > English <qu>, how would <k> be spelt in this mode?

          I think _k_ would be just quesse, while _kw_ would really be quesse with w-tehta (in Q12, probably a plain left curl). While this is an unusual tehta to be missing (unlike, say, a single dot), it is not totally unheared of, cf. Q8b, line 10, and Q39c, line 6.

          --
          grĂ¼ess
          mach
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 20 8:02 AM
            >(the number of known tengwar has almost quadrupled)
            In order to remove all ambiguity for those of us who haven't read it, does this refer to the corpus or distinct symbols?
          • Arden R. Smith
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 20 9:16 AM
              On Mar 20, 2013, at 8:02 AM, congruwer wrote:

              > >(the number of known tengwar has almost quadrupled)
              > In order to remove all ambiguity for those of us who haven't read
              > it, does this refer to the corpus or distinct symbols?

              Mach was referring to the size of the corpus. _Parma Eldalamberon_ 20
              contains hardly any individual tengwar or tehtar that you haven't seen
              before.

              So what's new? Most of the documents in the volume use the mode seen
              in the previously published "Errantry" and "Tom Bombadil" texts (DTS
              16-18), but some documents display some unusual early usages, such as
              turned lambe with a value of [lj] (palatalized "l") in Q1 and Q2,
              previously seen in Qenyatic 1929. The volume also brings together an
              interesting mix of documents of various sorts, giving insights into
              Tolkien's activities and interests, written in a variety of
              calligraphic styles. Aficionados of tengwar calligraphy will
              especially appreciate this volume.