New Tengwar Authograph: Muriel Margaret (Mollie) Cowling Dedication

  • j_mach_wust
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 3, 2011
      From lambengolmor (though I first saw it thanks to Avorninnas from the German Mellyn Lammath forum):

      --- In #1118 of lambengolmor@yahoogroups.com, Carl F. Hostetter wrote:

      > Bay East Auctions' Art & Book Sale, 27 Nov. 2011:
      >
      > <http://bayeastauctions.com.au/auctions_catalogues.php?auction=384>
      >
      > contains the following Tolkien lot of particular interest to this
      > list:
      >
      > ===========
      >
      > Lot 389: <http://bayeastauctions.com.au/lot_details.php?lot=177950#>
      >
      > Signed set of _The Lord of the Rings_ with (Nov. 1954?)
      >
      > 1) _Tengwar_ transliteration of English inscription:
      >
      > "With the very best wishes of <J.R.R. Tolkien> I wish that you need
      > not go back "across so wide a sea"."
      >
      > 2) Tipped-in analysis (1955?) of the _tengwar_ inscription, not in
      > Tolkien's hand, nor apparently by him -- note the misinterpretation
      > of the flourish of the final "s"-_tengwa_ of "wishes" as the
      > "u"-_tengwa_.
      >

      > --
      > Carl F. Hostetter Aelfwine@... http://www.elvish.org
      >
      > ho bios brachys, he de techne makre.
      > Ars longa, vita brevis.
      > The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne.
      > "I wish life was not so short," he thought. "Languages take such
      > a time, and so do all the things one wants to know about."

      On the German Mellyn Lammath forum, Avorninnas kindly reported the following Tengwar authograph:

      http://bayeastauctions.com.au/lot_details.php?lot=177950

      See image 3 (a fair copy).

      It reads:

      > With the very best wishes (of)
      >
      > [in Latin letters:] J. R. R. Tolkien
      >
      > I wish that you need not go bak
      > "across so wide a sea".

      The sample is written in an orthographic English tehtar mode. By DTS counting, it contains 40 tengwar, if I am not mistaken.

      The transcription of "you" is especially remarkable. I think it is a short carrier with a y-tehta above followed by a short carrier with both an o-tehta (here: left curl) and an u-tehta (here: right curl) above. What do you think?

      All double vowels (OU, EE, EA) are written with two tehtar! That very much weakens my idea that double vowels are generally written with one tehta only.

      The silent E in "wide" is written with an acute below, not with a dot below!

      The specimen uses actual Latin punctuation, including double quotes. While the first quote might be interpreted as a doubled acute below the "I" in order to capitalize it, that interpretation does not hold for the second quote. So I think this is the first instance of actual Latin double quotes in Tengwar, if I am not mistaken.

      --
      grĂ¼ess
      mach
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 3, 2011
        On Dec 3, 2011, at 9:54 AM, j_mach_wust wrote:

        > The specimen uses actual Latin punctuation, including double quotes.
        > While the first quote might be interpreted as a doubled acute below
        > the "I" in order to capitalize it, that interpretation does not hold
        > for the second quote. So I think this is the first instance of
        > actual Latin double quotes in Tengwar, if I am not mistaken.

        No, we've already seen double quotes in the longer "Tom Bombadil" text
        (DTS 18).

        Cheers,
        Arden