Re: Map Project

  • Mans
    Message 1 of 22 , Aug 5, 2010
      --- In elfscript2@yahoogroups.com, Kris Kowal <cowbertvonmoo@...> wrote:

      > I have a few more questions.

      Perhaps it is time to take the language questions to Elfling, where more people are likely to give feedback. My own two cents: _Barannor_ looks good, as far as I can tell. Over-long vowels in Sindarin (i.e. those indicated by a circumflex) are always shortened in compounds to regular long vowels (indicated by acute accent).

      > 3.) In all places, I've used yanta for the consonantal "i" in "iant", per J.
      > "Mach" Wust's instruction. Would this rule apply where "iant" is
      > compounded, as in "Baranduiniant"?

      That very word does occur in the only longer Sindarin text featuring this mode (in the form "iVaranduiniont"). Here, the _i_ is written as a dot on a short carrier; possibly it is pronounced as a full vowel. The tengwa <yanta> in this position would probably be read as a glide _e_.

      > Has someone synthesized a plausible rule
      > that would deterministically indicate whether a vowel is consonantal?

      The letter _i_, when initial and followed by a vowel, can be understood as a consonant (an "approximant", I suppose). In the diphthongs _ai_, _ei_, _ui_, _au_, _ae_, _oe_, the second letter stands for a glide or semivowel. (I don't think you normally refer to vowels as being "consonantal".)

      Yours,
      Måns
    • BPJ
      Message 2 of 22 , Aug 13, 2011
        On 2011-08-12 09:30, calwen76 wrote:
        > 4. The R-rule is followed in the tehta mode,
        Rómen in the beginning and in the middle of words,
        Óre in the end with the exception of a following
        word beginning with a vowel.

        Rather Rómen before a vowel and Óre everywhere else,
        i.e. Óre = an <r> which would be silent in southern
        British English pronunciation. Admittedly it doesn't
        make a lot of sense to follow that rule in writing
        Elvish or indeed any language which doesn't vocalize
        its <r>s in a pattern similar to SBE, but JRRT mostly
        did so anyway. In the first and second version of the
        Sindarin text of The King's Letter he evidently
        intended to use only Óre for <r>, but in the first version
        he apparently slipped an used Rómen in some places,
        even finally. In the Mode of Beleriand of necessity
        only Rómen is used for <r>, while Óre is used for
        single <n>. Thus if one is unsure how the two different
        <r> Tengwar should be distributed it's quite OK to pick
        one of the two and stick to it -- unless one speaks an
        'r-dropping' language/accent, but in that case one will
        of course know by habit of speaking and writing one's
        own language how to distribute the two spellings: if you
        hear a consonant it's Rómen, if you don't it's Óre!
        (Incidentally a 'two-r' transcription of my own pronunciation
        of Swedish *would* more or less use Óre at the end of words
        and Rómen elsewhere, but that's because I mostly pronounce /r/
        everywhere except at the end of words, and has nothing to do
        with how JRRT spoke English, or wrote with Tengwar.)

        /bpj/melroch