Mellyn Lammath: First Tolkien Forum to embed tengwar

  • j_mach_wust
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 13 10:52 AM
      Mellyn Lammath, a German-language Tolkien linguistics forum, is now the first Tolkien forum ever to allow tengwar embedding (to the best of my knowledge). Modern browsers should display the tengwar without the need of locally installing any font at all – and this works even in the text input fields!

      http://www.sindarin.de/tolkienforum/viewtopic.php?p=17101#17101

      --
      grüess
      mach
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 13 11:34 AM
        On 2010-04-13 j_mach_wust wrote:
        > Mellyn Lammath, a German-language Tolkien linguistics
        > forum, is now the first Tolkien forum ever to allow
        > tengwar embedding (to the best of my knowledge). Modern
        > browsers should display the tengwar without the need of
        > locally installing any font at all  and this works even
        > in the text input fields!
        >
        > http://www.sindarin.de/tolkienforum/viewtopic.php?p=17101#17101

        Hm, I get mostly CJK characters. A font cascade in the CSS
        could probably help, but even so people with no suitable
        fonts installed will see CJK or boxes depending on OS
        -- not that the Code2000 Tengwar do much justice to the
        tehtar anyway!

        /BP/M
      • j_mach_wust
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 14 1:30 AM
          --- In #232 of elfscript2@yahoogroups.com, Benct Philip Jonsson wrote:
          > > http://www.sindarin.de/tolkienforum/viewtopic.php?p=17101#17101
          > >

          > Hm, I get mostly CJK characters. A font cascade in the CSS
          > could probably help, but even so people with no suitable
          > fonts installed will see CJK or boxes depending on OS
          > -- not that the Code2000 Tengwar do much justice to the
          > tehtar anyway!

          It does not work with all browsers yet. I know it works – without any suitable fonts installed! – with Firefox 3.6, Opera 10.1, and Safari on Mac OS X 10.5, and browsershot.org will show it works with Firefox 3.5, Chrome 4, Opera 10 on Ubuntu Linux or Windows XP, and also with several MSIE or Safari on Windows XP:

          http://browsershots.org/websites/3181375/

          If your browser is not capable of embedding the font, then you could install the font on your computer as a workaround.

          The cascade only calls the FreeMonoTengwar font, not Code2000, since Code2000 is based on an older proposal by Michael Everson that is incompatible with his more recent, enhanced proposal.

          --
          grüess
          mach
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 14 2:18 AM
            I can read the Tengwar fine .... just not the German!

            David

            David Hedges
            Support Technician
            *Tel:* 01202 607 000 *Email:* david.hedges@...
            ** 7 Albany Park Cabot Lane Poole Dorset BH17 7BX
            oak_cs
            This E-Mail is intended for the recipient mentioned, its contents are
            confidential. If you are not the intended recipient please notify the
            sender immediately, without copying or onward transmission. In so far as
            the message in this email contains any form of offer to enter into or
            vary any contract, as email communication is insecure such offer is
            subject to verification by ourselves. Any offer is subject to signature
            and completion of our standard terms and business conditions. Any views
            or opinions expressed in this message are those of the author and not
            necessarily those of this company or its affiliates. Company
            Registration No. 2102234 VAT No 434 6208 63

            j_mach_wust wrote:

            > --- In #232 of elfscript2@yahoogroups.com
            > <mailto:elfscript2%40yahoogroups.com>, Benct Philip Jonsson wrote:
            > > > http://www.sindarin.de/tolkienforum/viewtopic.php?p=17101#17101
            > <http://www.sindarin.de/tolkienforum/viewtopic.php?p=17101#17101>
            > > >

            > > Hm, I get mostly CJK characters. A font cascade in the CSS
            > > could probably help, but even so people with no suitable
            > > fonts installed will see CJK or boxes depending on OS
            > > -- not that the Code2000 Tengwar do much justice to the
            > > tehtar anyway!
            >
            > It does not work with all browsers yet. I know it works – without any
            > suitable fonts installed! – with Firefox 3.6, Opera 10.1, and Safari
            > on Mac OS X 10.5, and browsershot.org will show it works with Firefox
            > 3.5, Chrome 4, Opera 10 on Ubuntu Linux or Windows XP, and also with
            > several MSIE or Safari on Windows XP:
            >
            > http://browsershots.org/websites/3181375/
            > <http://browsershots.org/websites/3181375/>
            >
            > If your browser is not capable of embedding the font, then you could
            > install the font on your computer as a workaround.
            >
            > The cascade only calls the FreeMonoTengwar font, not Code2000, since
            > Code2000 is based on an older proposal by Michael Everson that is
            > incompatible with his more recent, enhanced proposal.
            >
            > --
            > grüess
            > mach

          • congruwer
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 14 10:02 AM
              >I get mostly CJK characters
              Huh? That shouldn't happen. Or are you using a font that puts CJK characters in the private use area?

              The forum thread also touches upon a problematic issue:
              Private use area tengwar cannot be found through Google.

              I don't think a solution to that problem will be forthcoming. We could ask Google nicely, but they will say no, for obvious reasons. We'd need our own tengwar-enabled crawler, but I don't think any of us hobbyists is able to spend the time or afford the bandwidth.