331Re: More DTS proposals from "The History of the Hobbit" and "The Art of the Hobbit"

  • Mans
    Dec 18, 2011
      Mach, thank you for these proposals, and those relating to PE19! I have forwarded them to the Mellonath Daeron. By coincidence we discussed new DTS entries at our latest meeting the other week, and came to the same conclusion as you have regarding the Quenya Phonology, namely that each text should constitute one index entry.

      I myself hope to join the discussion when I have more spare time.

      Yours,
      MÃ¥ns

      --- In elfscript2@yahoogroups.com, j_mach_wust@... wrote:

      > Hi all
      >
      > Here's my preliminary proposals for DTS entries of the new tengwar samples of "The History of the Hobbit" and "The Art of the Hobbit". The sources are given both in the traditional way and as structural references (though the 2011 edition of "The History of the Hobbit" pretty much defies structural references because it includes material that is not present in the 2007 edition).
      >
      > ---
      >
      > Bilbo's Contract draft
      >
      > Count: 460 tengwar
      > Source: Rateliff, John D. (2011): The history of The Hobbit. London: Harper Collins, p. 904 (Addendum: The Seventh Phase. (v) Runic Charts. Table II: The Futhorc. [Ad.Ms.H.S.5]).
      > Description: A neat transcription of Bilbo's Contract, on a page with a table of the Anglo-Sacon futhorc. The mode of this transcription differs from the one of DTS 71. Rateliff notes that according to a personal communication by Arden Smith, the mode "bears strong affinities" to the one of the Ransome letters from December 1937, which have not been published.
      >
      > ---
      >
      > Book style version of Bilbo's Contract
      >
      > Count: 458 tengwar
      > Source: Rateliff, John D. (2011): The history of The Hobbit. London: Harper Collins, p. 906 (Addendum: The Seventh Phase. (vi) F�anorian Letters. Fig 4. [Ad.Ms.H.S.11]).
      > Description: According to Tolkien's description, this is another transcription of DTS 71 "[i]n a more careful way (as in making a book)", and not "in Thorin's rather free and bold style".
      >
      > ---
      >
      > The Tengwar (Dwarven Mode)
      >
      > Count: 127 tengwar
      > Source: Rateliff, John D. (2011): The history of The Hobbit. London: Harper Collins, p. 906-8 (Addendum: The Seventh Phase. (vi) F�anorian Letters. Table III: The Tengwar (Dwarven Mode). [Ad.Ms.H.S.12-4]).
      > Description: An explanation of the tengwar mode of DTS 71 and DTS XX, starting with a tengwar table and continuing with vowels, "various other tricks and abbreviations", punctuation, numerals, and transcription to the Latin script.
      >

      > ---
      >
      > Feanorian applied to English
      >
      > Count: 253 tengwar
      > Source: Rateliff, John D. (2011): The history of The Hobbit. London: Harper Collins, p. 909-11 (Addendum: The Seventh Phase. (vi) F�anorian Letters. Table IV: _Feanorian_ applied to _English_. [Ad.Ms.H.S.15-8]).
      > Description: Like DTS XX, this describes the mode of DTS 71 and DTS XX, starting with a tengwar chart and continuing with consonant tehtar, abbreviations, punctuation, vowels, and a phonemic English �matehtar mode.
      >
      > ---
      >
      > Death of Smaug recto doodles
      >
      > Count: 67 tengwar
      > Source: Hammond, Wayne G. & Christina Scull (2011): The Art of _The Hobbit_ by J. R. R. Tolkien. London: Harper Collins, p. 114. (fig. 79).
> [...]
    • Show all 2 messages in this topic