Re: [elfscript] newbie

    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 22, 2002
      teithant DZNikki

      > hello all...I am sure you get this question like a
      > million times but
      > please be patient with me :)...I want a tattoo in
      > Elvish...I can't
      > decide if it is better to translate phonetically or
      > letter by letter.
      > I definitely want the cursive tengwar script, as
      > found in the Ring
      > inscription. Can anyone reccommend a good trasnlator
      > on the Web?
      > Thanks so much for your help! ;)

      welcome.. you dont give us enough information to help
      you :)

      you describe only the calligraphic style, which is not
      up to us but to your tattoo maker.. we need to know
      which language (english? quenya? sindarin?) and which
      mode of each

      please visit
      http://www.sci.fi/%7ealboin/elfscript/minifaq.htm also
      and we wait for your clarifications

    • DZNikki
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 24, 2002
        --- In elfscript@y..., Gildor Inglorion <elfiness@y...> wrote:
        > teithant DZNikki
        >
        > > hello all...I am sure you get this question like a
        > > million times but
        > > please be patient with me :)...I want a tattoo in
        > > Elvish...I can't
        > > decide if it is better to translate phonetically or
        > > letter by letter.
        > > I definitely want the cursive tengwar script, as
        > > found in the Ring
        > > inscription. Can anyone reccommend a good trasnlator
        > > on the Web?
        > > Thanks so much for your help! ;)
        >
        > welcome.. you dont give us enough information to help
        > you :)
        >
        > you describe only the calligraphic style, which is not
        > up to us but to your tattoo maker.. we need to know
        > which language (english? quenya? sindarin?) and which
        > mode of each
        >
        > please visit
        > http://www.sci.fi/%7ealboin/elfscript/minifaq.htm also
        > and we wait for your clarifications

        OK. Sorry for the lack of clear info!
        I decided I want English translated into Quenya, then into the
        Tengwar style... I'm still working on exactly what phrase I want ;).
        Is this the best way to go? Forgive me for my obvious lack of
        knowledge...but I'm going on the assumption that I can't just
        translate directly from English to Tengwar. Hopefully I'm not making
        too much of an idiot out of myself LOL. Thanks again!
      • Wendy Perkins
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 24, 2002
          Actually, you can write English in Tengwar, but it will be English, not Elvish... (There are some examples still on the lists Yahoo! files page for you to look at if you want.

          Wendy
          *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
          dhpwlp@...
          *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
          Chaos reigns within.
          Reflect, repent, and reboot.
          Order shall return.
          *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 26, 2002
            teithant DZNikki

            > OK. Sorry for the lack of clear info!
            > I decided I want English translated into Quenya,
            > then into the
            > Tengwar style... I'm still working on exactly what
            > phrase I want ;).

            cool.. we are waiting

            > Is this the best way to go? Forgive me for my
            > obvious lack of
            > knowledge...but I'm going on the assumption that I
            > can't just
            > translate directly from English to Tengwar.

            you mean "transcribing"
            me either..i prefer writing Quenya :)

            > Hopefully I'm not making
            > too much of an idiot out of myself LOL. Thanks
            > again!

            waiting for a pic of it when it's done..

            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 15, 2003
              Hello, i just join the group, Im Jon, 19 m from houston,tx.