[elfscript] Re: the use of tengwa 'anna'

  • Arden R. Smith
    Message 1 of 24 , Jun 8, 2002
      Laurifindil wrote:

      >Do you mean that Tolkien actually stated that the word _anna_ was from
      >another root/stem than that sated to be ANA(1) in Etymologies? Such as
      >HAN- or 3AN-.

      In most instances it's implied rather than stated, but on one page of
      rough notes it's clear that this is the case.

      >It that particular mode (_wilya_ = nil < [3]) what was then the use of
      >_anna_ may I ask?

      It was then used for /y/, as in the mode for Westron and the Black
      Speech in _An Introduction to Elvish_, p. 247.

      >As for the use of the short carrier in <anna>, you mean that anna was
      >written begining with a <short carrier> used as a sign for nil < [3] ?
      >e.g. <short carrier> + a-tehta + <númen/twice> + a-tehta.

      In that particular example, the a-tehta was omitted above the doubled
      númen, but yes, the initial vowel was written as a-tehta over a short
      carrier. The presence of an etymological [3] is not implied in this
      example.

      This ties in with the "Vala vs. wilya" thread. If the scribe of the
      RGEO "Namárie" had used etymological spellings, he should also have
      used anna rather than the short carrier in _aldaron_, since _alda_
      derives from PQ _*galadaa_.

      Arden R. Smith erilaz@...

      --Lewis Carroll,
      _Through the Looking-glass_
      Message 2 of 24 , Jun 9, 2002
        teithant "Arden R. Smith"

        > In most instances it's implied rather than stated,
        > but on one page of
        > rough notes it's clear that this is the case.

        wouldn't Sindarin _oonen_ be _goonen_ then?

      • Arden R. Smith
        Message 3 of 24 , Jun 10, 2002
          Gildor Inglorion wrote:

          >wouldn't Sindarin _oonen_ be _goonen_ then?

          Yes indeed, and those same rough notes show that Tolkien realized that.

          Arden R. Smith erilaz@...

          --Lewis Carroll,
          _Through the Looking-glass_
          Message 4 of 24 , Jun 10, 2002
            teithant "Arden R. Smith"

            > >wouldn't Sindarin _oonen_ be _goonen_ then?
            >
            > Yes indeed, and those same rough notes show that
            > Tolkien realized that.

            you mean that Tolkien realised it was a mistake? where
            those notes can be found?

          • Arden R. Smith
            Message 5 of 24 , Jun 10, 2002
              Gildor wrote:

              >you mean that Tolkien realised it was a mistake?

              Perhaps. There's often a very blurry distinction between Tolkien
              realizing that something was a mistake and Tolkien changing his mind
              about something. He often changed his mind about something and then
              had to deal with all the difficulties that would arise out of that.
              I'm just saying that Tolkien realized that if _anna_ once began with
              [3] (presumably < *[g], though this is not explicitly stated), then
              _ónen_ must begin with [g].

              >where
              >those notes can be found?

              They are at present still unpublished.

              Arden R. Smith erilaz@...

              --Lewis Carroll,
              _Through the Looking-glass_
            • laurifindil
              Message 6 of 24 , Jun 12, 2002
                --- In elfscript@y..., "Arden R. Smith" <erilaz@e...> wrote:

                > Laurifindil wrote:

                <snip>

                > >It that particular mode (_wilya_ = nil < [3]) what was then the
                use of
                > >_anna_ may I ask?
                >
                > It was then used for /y/, as in the mode for Westron and the Black
                > Speech in _An Introduction to Elvish_, p. 247.

                Would you say that the tengwa wilya was used in Sôval Phâre for nil
                and that is what is meant with the use of the ' for that tengwa. I
                was wondering it it might no be the ' as in Khuzdul.
              • Arden R. Smith
                Message 7 of 24 , Jun 13, 2002
                  Laurifindil wrote:

                  >Would you say that the tengwa wilya was used in Sôval Phâre for nil
                  >and that is what is meant with the use of the ' for that tengwa. I
                  >was wondering it it might no be the ' as in Khuzdul.

                  It might be. Tolkien does not seem to have explained what is meant
                  by <'> as the transcription of the Westron value of wilya, as far as
                  I'm aware. I'd say that it could be a glottal stop, a smooth
                  breathing, or a marker of hiatus.

                  Arden R. Smith erilaz@...

                  --Lewis Carroll,
                  _Through the Looking-glass_
                • Alf Gandson
                  Message 8 of 24 , Jun 14, 2002
                    Arden R. Smith teithant:

                    <snip>

                    >Tolkien does not seem to have explained what is meant
                    by <'>; as the transcription of the Westron value of
                    wilya, as far as I'm aware. I'd say that it could be a
                    glottal stop, a smooth breathing, or a marker of
                    hiatus.

                    *I'm sorry I don't understand what you mean by _a
                    smooth breathing_, a voiced h-sound or a normal,
                    voiceless one?

                    *I always thought there was a "general agreement" on
                    Jim Allan's proposal that vilya represented a glottal
                    stop in the Westron mode. Is this thought of mine just
                    due to the fact that I'm based on _An Introduction to
                    Elvish_ (by Jim Allan)?

                    Cobertura especial de la Copa Mundial de la FIFA Corea-Japón 2002, sólo en Yahoo! Deportes:
                    http://ar.sports.yahoo.com/fifaworldcup/
                  • John Cowan
                    Message 9 of 24 , Jun 14, 2002
                      =?iso-8859-1?q?Alf=20Gandson?= scripsit:

                      > *I'm sorry I don't understand what you mean by _a
                      > smooth breathing_, a voiced h-sound or a normal,
                      > voiceless one?

                      The term "smooth breathing" refers to the mark used in older Greek
                      script to represent the *absence* of [h] on an initial vowel. It
                      is purely orthographical and never has represented any sound whatever.
                      In Modern Greek, [h] has fallen as well, and the new orthography
                      has discarded both smooth (silent) and rough (officially [h], but
                      actually also silent) breathing marks.

                      --
                      John Cowan <jcowan@...> http://www.reutershealth.com
                      I amar prestar aen, han mathon ne nen, http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
                      Message 10 of 24 , Jun 14, 2002
                        Alf Gandson wrote:

                        >*I'm sorry I don't understand what you mean by _a
                        >smooth breathing_, a voiced h-sound or a normal,
                        >voiceless one?

                        This is a term from Greek grammar. Greek words that are written with
                        an initial vowel begin with either a rough breathing (the [h] sound,
                        represented by a backwards apostrophe) or a smooth breathing,
                        represented by a normal apostrophe, which has no real phonetic value
                        other than "absence of [h]". This was just speculation on my part,
                        and I don't really believe that this is what Tolkien meant by <'>.

                        >*I always thought there was a "general agreement" on
                        >Jim Allan's proposal that vilya represented a glottal
                        >stop in the Westron mode. Is this thought of mine just
                        >due to the fact that I'm based on _An Introduction to
                        >Elvish_ (by Jim Allan)?

                        I would agree that the glottal stop is the most likely value of
                        Westron <'>, especially given the use of <'> to represent a glottal
                        stop in Khuzdul, but there doesn't appear to be any explicit
                        statement by Tolkien to that effect.

                        I failed to mention in my last post that the value of Westron <'>
                        could also be purely etymological, representing some consonantal
                        sound that was no longer pronounced in Third Age Common Speech.
                        Unfortunately, we don't know very much about the phonological
                        development of Westron from Adûnaic.

                        It seems unlikely, however, that it would represent the /3/ or /?/ of
                        Adûnaic. Lowdham's report states that the /3/ of archaic Adunaic
                        later disappeared in all positions, lengthening a preceding short
                        vowel when it was lost at the end of a word. Archaic /?/ presumably
                        disappeared very early, according to Lowdham, and furthermore "had no
                        sign in Adunaic script" (_Sauron Defeated_, pp. 419-20). Thus these
                        sounds would already have vanished before the Downfall, so it is
                        unlikely that the mortal races of Middle-earth would have preserved
                        them in orthography more than three millennia later.

                        Arden R. Smith erilaz@...

                        --Lewis Carroll,
                        _Through the Looking-glass_