Teithad i lam thindrim

  • Mans Bjorkman
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 28, 2000
      DDanielA@... wrote:

      > . . . I realise that most of Professor
      > Tolkien's published Sindarin pieces written with tengwar use a "full
      > writing" mode, but I much prefer the look of the tehtar used in the
      > rendering of the Eldarin languages.

      Hello Daniel! Personally I think that both the full modes and the "tehta
      modes" have their benefits, but like you I usually prefer writing with
      the tehta modes.

      > In an earlier post someone objected

      (That would have been me.)

      > to the term "classical mode" to denote a mode using tehtar on the
      > grounds that such a mode was used to represent late Sindarin in the
      > King's letter, but let us remember the Professor's words: "They [i.e.,
      > the tengwar] had reached the stage of full alphabetic development, but
      > older modes in which only the consonants were denoted by full letters
      > were still in use." I believe that this makes it clear that this mode
      > is older, therefore more "classical", than a full writing mode (e.g. the
      > mode of Beleriand and that used in the King's Letter Versions I and
      > II).

      Not necessarily. I rather think the Sindarin tehta mode as seen in KL
      was developed from a Westron tehta mode, perhaps by the Dúnedain. As you
      yourself noted, the mode uses series IV as calmatéma, actually leaving
      the series III unusued (except for the usage of <anna> as glide-i). Why
      would it do this? The most obvious explanation seems in my opinion to be
      that it was based on an existing mode that used series IV for velars.

      Now what Tengwar modes existed in the early First Age (which is where we
      must look if we want to predate the mode of Beleriand) for the Sindarin
      tehta mode to use as a model? Well, the only ones we know of are the
      Quenya modes (the standard tehta mode and the full mode) and possibly
      the modes for the Telerin and Vanyarin dialects, which were most likely
      never used in Middle-earth. All the Quenya modes appear to have used
      series III as calmatéma and series IV as quessetéma. It therefore seems
      probable that a Sindarin mode based on a Quenya mode would use series
      III for the velars, as indeed the mode of Beleriand does.

      On the other hand, in all the Westron Tengwar modes we know of (which
      must have developed in the late Second or early Third Age) series IV is
      used for velars, while III is used for palatals. It would therefore seem
      plausible that the model of the Sindarin tehta mode we know of was a
      Westron mode.

      > Possibly Professor Tolkien wished to give the King's Letter a more
      > "formal" look in its final draft. Or given the reference to "what a
      > man of Gondor might have produced, hesitating between the values of the
      > letters familiar in his 'mode' and the traditional spelling of
      > English" in Appendix E of LotR, perhaps we are to infer that the people of
      > Gondor used a mode that made use of tehtar.

      I agree this is the most logical conclusion.

      > . . . Actually, though, Christopher Tokien suggests that his
      > father used the ómatehtar to save space on the page!

      That was also Feanor's original motivation for using tehtar to represent
      vowels (see "From _Quendi and Eldar_, Appendix D" in _Vinyar Tengwar_
      #39, p. 8).

      Suilaid,
      Måns

      --