Re: [elfscript] Vala vs. wilya

  • Arden R. Smith
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 8, 2002
      Helge K. Fauskanger wrote:

      >I am not sure
      >whether the Namárie transcript in RGEO is entirely "reliable": As was
      >pointed out already in _Introduction to Elvish_, the word _hísie_ is not
      >spelt the way it should be according to the rules Tolkien set out elsewhere
      >(silme being used instead of súle, though this _s_ comes from earlier
      >_th_). So did Tolkien forget his own rules once again when he spelt _vanwa_
      >with an initial vala?

      It's not that Tolkien forgot his rules, but that the rules were not
      absolute. Words like _hísie_ and _noldo_ were spelt etymologically,
      but they didn't *need* to be.

      It would be interesting to know who the supposed scribe of the RGEO
      version of "Namárie" was. A Noldorin loremaster would presumably
      have used the "correct" etymological spellings, but a Telerin or
      Gondorian scribe with less training in historical linguistics (and
      who was young enough not to remember the former pronunciations!)
      might not.

      Arden R. Smith erilaz@...

      --Lewis Carroll,
      _Through the Looking-glass_
    • laurifindil
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 8, 2002
        --- In elfscript@y..., "Arden R. Smith" <erilaz@e...> wrote:

        <snip>

        > It's not that Tolkien forgot his rules, but that the rules were not
        > absolute. Words like _hísie_ and _noldo_ were spelt etymologically,
        > but they didn't *need* to be.

        Tolkien had quite a good memory.
        Anyone familiar with the Middle Ages knows the "scribal error".

        > It would be interesting to know who the supposed scribe of the RGEO
        > version of "Namárie" was. A Noldorin loremaster would presumably
        > have used the "correct" etymological spellings, but a Telerin or
        > Gondorian scribe with less training in historical linguistics (and
        > who was young enough not to remember the former pronunciations!)
        > might not.

        I think that the supposed scribe in that case was a "Hobbit"; not
        Bilbo, maybe Frodo, or even a later hand of the 4th age.
      • Arden R. Smith
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 8, 2002
          Laurifindil wrote:

          >I think that the supposed scribe in that case was a "Hobbit"; not
          >Bilbo, maybe Frodo, or even a later hand of the 4th age.

          That is a very reasonable assumption, and you are most likely quite correct.

          Arden R. Smith erilaz@...

          --Lewis Carroll,
          _Through the Looking-glass_