Proper references

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 6, 2002
      Carl F. Hostetter wrote:

      > I thought that might be the case. In fact, it appears to me that your
      work is based on an article by Helge Fauskanger in _Athelas_. An article in
      which Arden Smith's name is mentioned not once. Imagine that.

      And imagine that CFH, who is so concerned about giving proper references,
      didn't bother to check the name of the journal he refers to. It is
      ANGERTHAS -- not Athelas.

      In the article in question, I referred to Vinyar Tengwar. Anyone who is
      really interested knows very well what group publishes VT.

      For that matter, I don't constantly "credit" CJRT every time I cite some
      work of his father's that appeared in HoME, either. Ultimately, the glory
      belongs to the author rather than the editor, right?

      I guess many people have derived much of their knowledge of Quenya from MY
      writings on the subject, but I don't expect or desire to be constantly
      "credited" for whatever insights I may have shared. I didn't invent this
      stuff. It is not me you should thank.

      - HF
    • Carl F. Hostetter
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 6, 2002
        On 6/6/02 5:34 AM, "Helge K. Fauskanger" <helge.fauskanger@...>
        wrote:

        > It is ANGERTHAS -- not Athelas.

        Thanks for the correction. I was away from my library at the time, and
        misremembered.

        > In the article in question, I referred to Vinyar Tengwar. Anyone who is
        > really interested knows very well what group publishes VT.
        >
        > For that matter, I don't constantly "credit" CJRT every time I cite some
        > work of his father's that appeared in HoME, either. Ultimately, the glory
        > belongs to the author rather than the editor, right?

        Both these comments are, as usual, utterly beside the point. Arden did far
        more than simply present Tolkien's own writings. He thoroughly analyzed a
        long text written in Rúmilian, a text that had no notes nor any indication
        of the values assigned to letters. It was Arden's analysis that resulted in
        the table of values that you re-presented in _Angerthas_, and that Gildor
        has now himself re-presented. Arden deserves credit for _his_ analysis, not
        for Tolkien's text.

        > I guess many people have derived much of their knowledge of Quenya from MY
        > writings on the subject, but I don't expect or desire to be constantly
        > "credited" for whatever insights I may have shared. I didn't invent this
        > stuff. It is not me you should thank.

        Once again, your comment is utterly beside the point. The fact that you are
        willing to forego any credit or mention from those who would republish your
        analyses in no way removes the requirement for authors to properly credit
        those whose work they are using.

        Well, at least one comment out of four was useful. That may be a record!

        | |
        | Ars longa, vita brevis. |
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 6, 2002
          teithant "Carl F. Hostetter"

          > of the values assigned to letters. It was Arden's
          > analysis that resulted in
          > the table of values that you re-presented in
          > _Angerthas_, and that Gildor
          > has now himself re-presented. Arden deserves credit
          > for _his_ analysis, not
          > for Tolkien's text.

          * not that it matters at all, but I didn't represent
          analysis from Angerthas but from Amanye Tenceli by
          Mans Bjorkman who shared with me his valuable
          oppinions and clarifications (and I should also
          mention Helge, Daniel and Ryszard as well)