Re: [elfscript] Pedin i-huilad nîn!

  • erilaz@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 27, 2000
      D. Daniel Andriës wrote:

      >Thanks to the publication of the King's L=
      >etter in SD, some light has been shed on Sindarin orthography (as well as us=
      >age), but there are still many questions. For example, in regular Sindarin s=
      >pelling with tehtar, which tengwa represents [w]...vala, vilya or úre? My gu=
      >ess is vala.

      It would depend on the mode. In a mode in which téma IV represents a
      labiovelar series, vilya would be the best bet. Unque is also an option,
      since Appendix E says that it can be used for _ghw_ or _w_. In the Mode of
      Beleriand, which is a mode of this type, vala represents _m_ and úre
      represents _u_.

      In a mode in which téma IV is used for velars, however, unque would have to
      represent _gh_, and vilya (if used at all) would probably represent a
      hiatus, a glottal stop, a g>0 lenition, or something of that ilk. In such
      a mode, vala would be the most likely candidate for _w_. The Sindarin
      portion of the King's Letter, version I, uses such a mode, and in that text
      vilya is used for _a_ (but only in the King's initials) and úre for _u_.

      Yes, I realize that the sample modes use full letters for the vowels, but
      the same general principles would apply to tehtar modes.

      Arden R. Smith erilaz@...

      --Lewis Carroll,
      _Through the Looking-glass_