Pedin i-huilad nîn!

  • DDanielA@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 27, 2000
      Mae govannen, mellyn! I'm so glad to have found this group. I am very inter=
      ested in the Tolkienian writing systems and have been since high school. (IN=
      fact, I went to high school during the late 70's Tolkien Renaissance, as we=
      called it, and we used to pass notes in class written in tengwar so the tea=
      chers couldn't read them if we were caught!) I am a calligrapher and find th=
      at the tengwar provide an excellent oportunity for calligraphic experimentat=
      ion...the shapes are so adaptable! Thanks to the publication of the King's L=
      etter in SD, some light has been shed on Sindarin orthography (as well as us=
      age), but there are still many questions. For example, in regular Sindarin s=
      pelling with tehtar, which tengwa represents [w]...vala, vilya or úre? My gu=
      ess is vala. I know that the "tilde" is used for "following w," (e.g., "Gwir=
      ith", "edwen"), but in other cases? Any thoughts on the subject? I will prob=
      ably have such questions from time to time! Until next time, namárië! –D. Da=
      niel Andriës.