Re: The Book of Mazarbul (Re: [elfscript] The runes of The Hobbit.)

  • erilaz@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 6, 2000
      Emanuele Vincentini wrote:

      > Here comes a little problem: according to Appendix E of LoR the
      >Erebor mode has some unique features and some changes, but not everything
      >is shown in the cirth table. When I first read LoR many years ago I
      >thought having understood those sentences about Erebor mode quite well,
      >but those pages of the Book throw in some confusion: some cirth have
      >"unexpected" values (please, note that I'm not referring here to the
      >"extra" cirth or the under-bar).

      Very true. The Mazarbul pages do agree with the list of special
      characteristics of the Mode of Erebor in the final paragraph of Appendix E:
      #14=j, #17=x, #29=g, #43=z. (Mazarbul uses #19 for "soft g" and #21 for
      gh, but this isn't prohibited by the statement in Appendix E.) However,
      the Ereborian mode exemplified on those pages does deviate from the
      Angerthas Moria in other respects, such as in the use of #35 for s and #54
      for h. So if the Mazarbul pages give an accurate picture of the Mode of
      Erebor, the description of the mode in Appendix E omits some details.

      Arden R. Smith erilaz@...

      --Lewis Carroll,
      _Through the Looking-glass_
    • Abrigon
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 15, 2001
        But since the Hobbbits used a form of common, but their lingo was
        represented by a Germanic tongue (or like). Then using Germanic runes
        (Futhurk/Futhark) to represent their Germanic lingo (not the real
        lingo mind you, but ).

        Mike

        One I find fun, is to take the Hobbit runes, find the one closest to
        it in Cirth and see what you get, you will be mystified.