Re: [elfscript] Friend of the Eagles

  • DDanielA@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 1 , May 29 11:36 AM
      Teithant Andre Khalip:
      > Am I right in assuming that Friend of the Eagles translates
      > into Sindarin as Thorondil? Or am I just mixing up Sindarin
      >and Quenya again?

      Using the suffix '-ndil'/'dil' is acceptable for Sindarin, I believe.
      Besides, Tolkien himself tells us that some proper names are mixed
      Quenya/Sindarin forms. However, 'nd' regularly beccomes 'nn' in
      Sindarin. There are exceptions (e.g. 'Anduin', 'Glorfindel'), but I
      think that 'Thoronnil' might be more correct. If you want to avoid the
      Quenya suffix question, you could go with 'Thoronvellon' =
      'Eagle-friend' (cf. 'Elvellon' = 'Elf-friend').