Re: [elfscript] Translation please

  • Harri Perälä
    Message 1 of 15 , May 19, 2002
      Gildor Inglorion wrote:

      > teithant jaedaduck
      > > Hi! i'm planning to get a tatoo and i want it to be
      > > in tengwar cursive. I was wondering if anyone knew how to write
      > > my name in this language.
      > [...] so, what do you mean bye "translation"?

      Perhaps there should be some kind of a checklist that would help people
      make more detailed requests?

      How about this:

      (HTML version: <http://www.sci.fi/%7ealboin/elfscript/minifaq.htm>)

      How do I write [phrase] in Elvish?

      This question is ambiguous: there are several languages and several
      writing systems that can be called "Elvish". List members can help you
      better if you specify some of the following things:

      What language?

      Assuming your text is in English, would you like it to be translated
      into one of the Elvish languages before writing it in Elvish letters?
      Quenya and Sindarin are complete enough to make (some) translations
      possible. However, bear in mind that detailed discussions about the
      languages belong rather to Elfling.

      What writing system?

      You are probably thinking about the Tengwar (translated by Tolkien as
      "letters"), though there are also the Cirth ("runes") and the Sarati
      (the predecessor of the Tengwar). Examples of Tengwar in The Lord of the
      Rings include the inscriptions on the One Ring and the West Gate of
      Moria.

      What mode?

      The Tengwar writing system was adapted for many languages, and thus
      there came to be several ways of writing in Tengwar. These are known as
      modes. For some languages, only one mode is known; for others, there are
      several choices. For a listing, see Tengwar Modes at Amanye Tenceli.

      Modes fall into two main categories: the full writing modes, where
      vowels have their own letters, and the tehta modes, where vowels are
      represented by dots, curls and other small marks. If you prefer one of
      these ways, let us know.

      Transcriptions of English phrases are requested most frequently. Tolkien
      experimented with several modes for writing English, sometimes using
      traditional orthography as a basis, sometimes representing the actual
      pronunciation more directly. Texts in both full writing and tehta modes
      have been published. Different people are likely to have different
      opinions on which of these modes to use (and the details of applying the
      mode). In message 651 Daniel Andriës describes one of the possibilities,
      the so-called "King's Letter" mode, and explains why he prefers it for
      writing English.

      What calligraphic style?

      The Lord of the Rings contains a few examples of different styles of
      Tengwar writing: the "flowing script" of the Ring inscription, the round
      shapes in the writing on the Moria gate, and the "formal book-hand" in
      Appendix E. Many settle for computer fonts for creating inscriptions,
      though some find them a poor substitute for traditional calligraphy.
      Note that calligraphic styles and fonts that represent them are
      independent of language and mode.

      Additional advice:

      Here are some tips that have been given to people looking for help with
      Elvish inscriptions:

      In message 565, Brook Conner writes:

      I'll just suggest to readers that at least making a try before posting a
      question to the list is a good idea.... We obviously don't have much
      problem here with students asking for homework answers, but it's nice to
      see that someone has made an effort....

      How to get started with learning the Tengwar? The Mellonath Daeron FAQ
      suggests:

      Begin with Appendix E of The Lord of the Rings. Then, analyze a couple
      of Tolkien's tengwar samples. See the DTS (the Mellonath Daeron Tengwar
      Specimina) for a list.

      For online resources, see Elfling FAQ 1.8 ("Where can I get fonts for
      Tolkien’s alphabets? How can I learn to write them?").

      Have you come up with better ways of explaining these concepts? Are
      there factual errors in these explanations?

      If someone feels like creating a real FAQ for the group some day, and
      there is anything useful in the above, feel free to do whatever you like
      with it.

      --
      Harri Perälä perala@... http://www.sci.fi/%7ealboin/
    • Alf Gandson
      Message 2 of 15 , May 27, 2002
        teithant Harri Perälä <harri.perala@...>:

        >Note that calligraphic styles and fonts that
        represent
        >them are independent of language and mode.

        But only if you don't count the tehtar as a
        calligaphic style. Well, I know they're more than
        calligraphic style, but at least for me, they are most
        characteristic for the appearance -and thus also for
        the calligraphics- of any tehtar-mode. I suppose that
        people after their first contact with a (tehtar-mode)
        tengwar sample (the LotR title page inscription or so)
        will remember the tehtar, because they are most
        unusual for eyes accustomed to latin letters.

        Further on, I have been very surprised when I had
        written some lines in a french mode which had no
        additional tengwar but lambe (and rarely uure): It
        looked very different from english tengwar samples.
        (Perhaps the difference was in the lack of diagonals
        as in roomen, the silme-tengwar or hyarmen.)

        suilaid, alf

        Cobertura especial de la Copa Mundial de la FIFA Corea-Japón 2002, sólo en Yahoo! Deportes:
        http://ar.sports.yahoo.com/fifaworldcup/
      • akasha66502
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 5, 2004
          I'm trying to translate my name into tengwar, but need to know if this
          is correct. These are the keystrokes for my name using the OTT
          81iE~V

          Thanks
          Stacee
        • i_degilbor
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 6, 2004
            Teithant Stacee:
            > I'm trying to translate my name into tengwar,

            Transcribe, not 'translate'.

            >but need to know if this is correct. These are the keystrokes for
            my name
            >using the OTT
            > 81iE~V

            Personally, I would spell the 'ee' in your name the same way that
            Tolkien spelt in on the LotR title page in the word 'seen', so my
            suggestion would be: 81iE`V`V