Re: Is this translation right?

  • necromancer185
    Message 1 of 15 , May 18, 2002
      Hey I'm new and I'm justgetting into this whole...LOTR linguistics
      scene.....but personally I Think the ring is wonderfully poetic and a
      powerful bond of love...Though the One Ring was bound to the bearer
      in an all consumeing love that was overwhelming and could be brought
      to the heights of great darkness...It was also responsible for the
      shapeing of many great things in its path.....is not love a bitter
      vice that stings the heart and tears the soul.....It is an evil all
      consumeing power that can drive men mad....It is an obsession that
      devoids men of pride and control....But in the path of it's
      destruction lies the fruits of purity and grace....the warmth of
      compassion and the bringing together of two people in an inseperable
      bond....It is easy to mind only one view but to see as the Taoists do
      the great duality of nature....One finds the roses amongst the thorns
      and does not step away for fear of the prick....But embraces gently
      the whole of the bush.......
    • Harri Perälä
      Message 2 of 15 , May 19, 2002
        Gildor Inglorion wrote:

        > teithant jaedaduck
        > > Hi! i'm planning to get a tatoo and i want it to be
        > > in tengwar cursive. I was wondering if anyone knew how to write
        > > my name in this language.
        > [...] so, what do you mean bye "translation"?

        Perhaps there should be some kind of a checklist that would help people
        make more detailed requests?

        How about this:

        (HTML version: <http://www.sci.fi/%7ealboin/elfscript/minifaq.htm>)

        How do I write [phrase] in Elvish?

        This question is ambiguous: there are several languages and several
        writing systems that can be called "Elvish". List members can help you
        better if you specify some of the following things:

        What language?

        Assuming your text is in English, would you like it to be translated
        into one of the Elvish languages before writing it in Elvish letters?
        Quenya and Sindarin are complete enough to make (some) translations
        possible. However, bear in mind that detailed discussions about the
        languages belong rather to Elfling.

        What writing system?

        You are probably thinking about the Tengwar (translated by Tolkien as
        "letters"), though there are also the Cirth ("runes") and the Sarati
        (the predecessor of the Tengwar). Examples of Tengwar in The Lord of the
        Rings include the inscriptions on the One Ring and the West Gate of
        Moria.

        What mode?

        The Tengwar writing system was adapted for many languages, and thus
        there came to be several ways of writing in Tengwar. These are known as
        modes. For some languages, only one mode is known; for others, there are
        several choices. For a listing, see Tengwar Modes at Amanye Tenceli.

        Modes fall into two main categories: the full writing modes, where
        vowels have their own letters, and the tehta modes, where vowels are
        represented by dots, curls and other small marks. If you prefer one of
        these ways, let us know.

        Transcriptions of English phrases are requested most frequently. Tolkien
        experimented with several modes for writing English, sometimes using
        traditional orthography as a basis, sometimes representing the actual
        pronunciation more directly. Texts in both full writing and tehta modes
        have been published. Different people are likely to have different
        opinions on which of these modes to use (and the details of applying the
        mode). In message 651 Daniel Andriës describes one of the possibilities,
        the so-called "King's Letter" mode, and explains why he prefers it for
        writing English.

        What calligraphic style?

        The Lord of the Rings contains a few examples of different styles of
        Tengwar writing: the "flowing script" of the Ring inscription, the round
        shapes in the writing on the Moria gate, and the "formal book-hand" in
        Appendix E. Many settle for computer fonts for creating inscriptions,
        though some find them a poor substitute for traditional calligraphy.
        Note that calligraphic styles and fonts that represent them are
        independent of language and mode.

        Additional advice:

        Here are some tips that have been given to people looking for help with
        Elvish inscriptions:

        In message 565, Brook Conner writes:

        I'll just suggest to readers that at least making a try before posting a
        question to the list is a good idea.... We obviously don't have much
        problem here with students asking for homework answers, but it's nice to
        see that someone has made an effort....

        How to get started with learning the Tengwar? The Mellonath Daeron FAQ
        suggests:

        Begin with Appendix E of The Lord of the Rings. Then, analyze a couple
        of Tolkien's tengwar samples. See the DTS (the Mellonath Daeron Tengwar
        Specimina) for a list.

        For online resources, see Elfling FAQ 1.8 ("Where can I get fonts for
        Tolkien’s alphabets? How can I learn to write them?").

        Have you come up with better ways of explaining these concepts? Are
        there factual errors in these explanations?

        If someone feels like creating a real FAQ for the group some day, and
        there is anything useful in the above, feel free to do whatever you like
        with it.

        --
        Harri Perälä perala@... http://www.sci.fi/%7ealboin/
      • Alf Gandson
        Message 3 of 15 , May 27, 2002
          teithant Harri Perälä <harri.perala@...>:

          >Note that calligraphic styles and fonts that
          represent
          >them are independent of language and mode.

          But only if you don't count the tehtar as a
          calligaphic style. Well, I know they're more than
          calligraphic style, but at least for me, they are most
          characteristic for the appearance -and thus also for
          the calligraphics- of any tehtar-mode. I suppose that
          people after their first contact with a (tehtar-mode)
          tengwar sample (the LotR title page inscription or so)
          will remember the tehtar, because they are most
          unusual for eyes accustomed to latin letters.

          Further on, I have been very surprised when I had
          written some lines in a french mode which had no
          additional tengwar but lambe (and rarely uure): It
          looked very different from english tengwar samples.
          (Perhaps the difference was in the lack of diagonals
          as in roomen, the silme-tengwar or hyarmen.)

          suilaid, alf

          Cobertura especial de la Copa Mundial de la FIFA Corea-Japón 2002, sólo en Yahoo! Deportes:
          http://ar.sports.yahoo.com/fifaworldcup/
        • akasha66502
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 5, 2004
            I'm trying to translate my name into tengwar, but need to know if this
            is correct. These are the keystrokes for my name using the OTT
            81iE~V

            Thanks
            Stacee
          • i_degilbor
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 6, 2004
              Teithant Stacee:
              > I'm trying to translate my name into tengwar,

              Transcribe, not 'translate'.

              >but need to know if this is correct. These are the keystrokes for
              my name
              >using the OTT
              > 81iE~V

              Personally, I would spell the 'ee' in your name the same way that
              Tolkien spelt in on the LotR title page in the word 'seen', so my
              suggestion would be: 81iE`V`V