Primative Rumil/Tengwar - Elven Magic?

  • Michael Adams
    Message 1 of 3 , May 15, 2002
      I can see why they did letters, for other than loosing info. Much as
      humans use it, to record transactions, like "Gildor owes Elrond
      something", or to say hi, when telepathy will not work, like over great
      distances? But ones I can see is that it is lovely, and a way to engrain
      power into things. Like how Runes are seen as more than just letters,
      but also magical, like some form of magic is tied in the letters, and
      thru them the sounds of the letters as well..

      I know in human meditation, there is often means to use specific sounds
      to put the mind in a certain feeling/way..

      True, if they wanted to use the letters for spells and like, then they
      need something that is precise, since their magic seems to be a combo of
      mental connection to the elements, but also a vocal connection..

      Remember the rings enscription was not said in Black Speech? Why, cause
      the black speech was used for spells, and the enscription when spoken
      was a spell of some sort.

      Maybe sound as it is suggested, is how Eru (God) and the Vala
      created/formed things in the beginning, of song/words and light.

      Morgoth being a creature of evil, was into darkness and nasty sounds,
      disharmony and like..

      Mike
    • Wendy Perkins
      Message 2 of 3 , May 16, 2002
        Coming from a family of inventors, I know how many hundreds of versions of a thing one can go through before coming up with something you can go public with. I can easily imagine that the elves did go through the steps of drawing pictures, then modifying them etc. before coming up with the final form. After all they had hundreds of years to think about it, right? :-)

        Wendy
        *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
        dhpwlp@...
        *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
        Chaos reigns within.
        Reflect, repent, and reboot.
        Order shall return.
        *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

        Message 3 of 3 , May 17, 2002
          Agreed Wendy, I know the Elves and Vala/Maia are telepathic, atleast the
          Elves are not as much as the Vala/Maia, but Rumil likely went thru
          various incarnations of his script until he got it right, yes, just as
          Prof Tolkien did with it in our world/expression.

          I do expect there was some script that existed, maybe not a written one
          like Tengwar and like, but one of pictures, much like we use pictures
          for the mens room. Or did they use musical or magical markers, so that
          an Elf or like could just look at the item and see the picture/image/etc.

          Sort of like being able to see in the infra-red, and someone leaving a
          heat tab on a door in a certain way, that can only be seen in the infrared.

          Mike