Re: [elfscript] Re: 'You' and 'may' in English tehta mode

  • DDanielA@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 5 , May 8, 2002
      Teithant Ewan:
      >--- In elfscript@y..., DDanielA@w... wrote:
      > >You:
      > >a) anna o-tehta-on-vala (as in the Brogan letter)
      > >b) anna o-tehta-on-carrier
      > >u-tehta-on-carrier
      > >c) anna o-tehta-on-úre
      >>There are other options. Tolkien often used the long carrier
      > >to represent 'y' in English. My opinion is long carrier - úre + 'o'
      > >tehta. (In other words, option c), but replace anna with the
      > >long carrier.)

      >Thanks for the advice, Danny. I had been staying away from the
      > long-carrier= 'y' because I had gotten the impression (incorrect?)
      > that it was used mostly for 'y' at the end of words giving an 'ee'
      > sound, as in 'windy' or 'story' .

      Not incorrect per se, but look at the title page inscription. The only
      instance of the long carrier is the 'y' in 'history', that's true; but
      that long carrier bears the 'i' tehta. Without any tehta one could
      assume that the long carrier represents the consonantal 'y'. In the
      King's Letter Westron/English mode (my preferred English mode), Tolkien
      uses the long carrier as both consonantal and vocalic 'y'. Okay, so this
      is a full writing rather than a tehta mode, but this usage may still be
      valid. And the long carrier is used for consonantal 'i' in the Sindarin
      full writing mode used in King's Letter, versions I and II. Again basing
      my usage on the Sindarin tehta mode, I prefer keeping 'anna' for the
      second element of the diphthongs 'ai'/'ay', 'ei'/'ey', 'oi'/'oy' and
      'ui' in English. Of course, since Tolkien never provided a standard
      tehta mode for English we must go by speculation, so different
      'tengwardili' will have different opinions.

      Cuio mae, Danny.
    • Arden R. Smith
      Message 2 of 5 , May 11, 2002
        Ewan wrote:

        >You:
        >a) anna o-tehta-on-vala (as in the Brogan letter)
        >b) anna o-tehta-on-carrier u-tehta-on-carrier
        >c) anna o-tehta-on-úre
        >
        >May:
        >a) malta a-tehta-on-carrier y-tehta-on-carrier
        >b) malta a-tehta-on-anna
        >c) malta a-tehta-on-yanta
        >
        >Right now I'm leaning towards option c in each case,
        >but I'd be grateful for any advice!

        Keep on leaning that way! I've been writing my diary in an English
        tehta mode since 1983, and I use the spellings that you give as (c)
        for both of these words. They're not the only acceptable options, of
        course, but they're both perfectly valid.

        Arden R. Smith erilaz@...

        --Lewis Carroll,
        _Through the Looking-glass_