Re: 'You' and 'may' in English tehta mode

  • eoghanmacp
    Message 1 of 5 , May 8 11:37 AM
      --- In elfscript@y..., DDanielA@w... wrote:

      > > You:
      > > a) anna o-tehta-on-vala (as in the Brogan letter)
      > > b) anna o-tehta-on-carrier u-tehta-on-carrier
      > > c) anna o-tehta-on-úre
      >
      > There are other options. Tolkien often used the long carrier to
      > represent 'y' in English. My opinion is long carrier - úre +
      > 'o' tehta. (In other words, option c), but replace anna with the long
      > carrier.)

      Thanks for the advice, Danny. I had been staying away from the long-carrier=
      'y' because I had gotten the impression (incorrect?) that it was used mostl=
      y for 'y' at the end of words giving an 'ee' sound, as in 'windy' or 'story'=
      . I'm glad the two-short-carrier option is not preferred --- most unattract=
      ive!

      cheers,
      Ewan
    • DDanielA@webtv.net
      Message 2 of 5 , May 8 12:11 PM
        Teithant Ewan:
        >--- In elfscript@y..., DDanielA@w... wrote:
        > >You:
        > >a) anna o-tehta-on-vala (as in the Brogan letter)
        > >b) anna o-tehta-on-carrier
        > >u-tehta-on-carrier
        > >c) anna o-tehta-on-úre
        >>There are other options. Tolkien often used the long carrier
        > >to represent 'y' in English. My opinion is long carrier - úre + 'o'
        > >tehta. (In other words, option c), but replace anna with the
        > >long carrier.)

        >Thanks for the advice, Danny. I had been staying away from the
        > long-carrier= 'y' because I had gotten the impression (incorrect?)
        > that it was used mostly for 'y' at the end of words giving an 'ee'
        > sound, as in 'windy' or 'story' .

        Not incorrect per se, but look at the title page inscription. The only
        instance of the long carrier is the 'y' in 'history', that's true; but
        that long carrier bears the 'i' tehta. Without any tehta one could
        assume that the long carrier represents the consonantal 'y'. In the
        King's Letter Westron/English mode (my preferred English mode), Tolkien
        uses the long carrier as both consonantal and vocalic 'y'. Okay, so this
        is a full writing rather than a tehta mode, but this usage may still be
        valid. And the long carrier is used for consonantal 'i' in the Sindarin
        full writing mode used in King's Letter, versions I and II. Again basing
        my usage on the Sindarin tehta mode, I prefer keeping 'anna' for the
        second element of the diphthongs 'ai'/'ay', 'ei'/'ey', 'oi'/'oy' and
        'ui' in English. Of course, since Tolkien never provided a standard
        tehta mode for English we must go by speculation, so different
        'tengwardili' will have different opinions.

        Cuio mae, Danny.
      • Arden R. Smith
        Message 3 of 5 , May 11 12:25 AM
          Ewan wrote:

          >You:
          >a) anna o-tehta-on-vala (as in the Brogan letter)
          >b) anna o-tehta-on-carrier u-tehta-on-carrier
          >c) anna o-tehta-on-úre
          >
          >May:
          >a) malta a-tehta-on-carrier y-tehta-on-carrier
          >b) malta a-tehta-on-anna
          >c) malta a-tehta-on-yanta
          >
          >Right now I'm leaning towards option c in each case,
          >but I'd be grateful for any advice!

          Keep on leaning that way! I've been writing my diary in an English
          tehta mode since 1983, and I use the spellings that you give as (c)
          for both of these words. They're not the only acceptable options, of
          course, but they're both perfectly valid.

          Arden R. Smith erilaz@...

          --Lewis Carroll,
          _Through the Looking-glass_