'You' and 'may' in English tehta mode

  • eoghanmacp
    Message 1 of 5 , May 7, 2002
      Hi:

      I'm working on a calligraphy project using the English
      tehta mode. I'm stuck on the best way to represent the words
      'you' and 'may'. I've come up with three options for each:

      You:
      a) anna o-tehta-on-vala (as in the Brogan letter)
      b) anna o-tehta-on-carrier u-tehta-on-carrier
      c) anna o-tehta-on-úre

      May:
      a) malta a-tehta-on-carrier y-tehta-on-carrier
      b) malta a-tehta-on-anna
      c) malta a-tehta-on-yanta

      Right now I'm leaning towards option c in each case,
      but I'd be grateful for any advice!

      thanks,
      Ewan
    • DDanielA@webtv.net
      Message 2 of 5 , May 7, 2002
        > I'm working on a calligraphy project using the English tehta
        > mode. I'm stuck on the best way to represent the words 'you'>
        > and 'may'. I've come up with three options for each:
        > You:
        > a) anna o-tehta-on-vala (as in the Brogan letter)
        > b) anna o-tehta-on-carrier u-tehta-on-carrier
        > c) anna o-tehta-on-úre

        There are other options. Tolkien often used the long carrier to
        represent 'y' in English. My opinion is long carrier - úre +
        'o' tehta. (In other words, option c), but replace anna with the long
        carrier.) Another possibility: since Tolkien seems to have based his
        English mainly modes on Sindarin modes, 'y' can be represented the same
        way consonantal 'i' is written in the attested Sindarin tehta mode:
        yanta.

        May:
        a) malta a-tehta-on-carrier y-tehta-on-carrier
        b) malta a-tehta-on-anna
        c) malta a-tehta-on-yanta

        b). Since English modes are based on Sindarin modes, I'd avoid yanta +
        'a' tehta as that would represent 'ae'. yanta + 'a' tehta = 'ai' (or in
        this case 'ay') is a very Quenya construction. Since anna + 'a' tehta =
        'ai' is attested in the Sindarin tehta mode, I would use the same for
        English 'ay'.

        Just my opinion ... those are the forms that I use on the rare occasions
        that I actually use a tehta mode for English.

        Cuio mae, Danny.
      • eoghanmacp
        Message 3 of 5 , May 8, 2002
          --- In elfscript@y..., DDanielA@w... wrote:

          > > You:
          > > a) anna o-tehta-on-vala (as in the Brogan letter)
          > > b) anna o-tehta-on-carrier u-tehta-on-carrier
          > > c) anna o-tehta-on-úre
          >
          > There are other options. Tolkien often used the long carrier to
          > represent 'y' in English. My opinion is long carrier - úre +
          > 'o' tehta. (In other words, option c), but replace anna with the long
          > carrier.)

          Thanks for the advice, Danny. I had been staying away from the long-carrier=
          'y' because I had gotten the impression (incorrect?) that it was used mostl=
          y for 'y' at the end of words giving an 'ee' sound, as in 'windy' or 'story'=
          . I'm glad the two-short-carrier option is not preferred --- most unattract=
          ive!

          cheers,
          Ewan
        • DDanielA@webtv.net
          Message 4 of 5 , May 8, 2002
            Teithant Ewan:
            >--- In elfscript@y..., DDanielA@w... wrote:
            > >You:
            > >a) anna o-tehta-on-vala (as in the Brogan letter)
            > >b) anna o-tehta-on-carrier
            > >u-tehta-on-carrier
            > >c) anna o-tehta-on-úre
            >>There are other options. Tolkien often used the long carrier
            > >to represent 'y' in English. My opinion is long carrier - úre + 'o'
            > >tehta. (In other words, option c), but replace anna with the
            > >long carrier.)

            >Thanks for the advice, Danny. I had been staying away from the
            > long-carrier= 'y' because I had gotten the impression (incorrect?)
            > that it was used mostly for 'y' at the end of words giving an 'ee'
            > sound, as in 'windy' or 'story' .

            Not incorrect per se, but look at the title page inscription. The only
            instance of the long carrier is the 'y' in 'history', that's true; but
            that long carrier bears the 'i' tehta. Without any tehta one could
            assume that the long carrier represents the consonantal 'y'. In the
            King's Letter Westron/English mode (my preferred English mode), Tolkien
            uses the long carrier as both consonantal and vocalic 'y'. Okay, so this
            is a full writing rather than a tehta mode, but this usage may still be
            valid. And the long carrier is used for consonantal 'i' in the Sindarin
            full writing mode used in King's Letter, versions I and II. Again basing
            my usage on the Sindarin tehta mode, I prefer keeping 'anna' for the
            second element of the diphthongs 'ai'/'ay', 'ei'/'ey', 'oi'/'oy' and
            'ui' in English. Of course, since Tolkien never provided a standard
            tehta mode for English we must go by speculation, so different
            'tengwardili' will have different opinions.

            Cuio mae, Danny.
          • Arden R. Smith
            Message 5 of 5 , May 11, 2002
              Ewan wrote:

              >You:
              >a) anna o-tehta-on-vala (as in the Brogan letter)
              >b) anna o-tehta-on-carrier u-tehta-on-carrier
              >c) anna o-tehta-on-úre
              >
              >May:
              >a) malta a-tehta-on-carrier y-tehta-on-carrier
              >b) malta a-tehta-on-anna
              >c) malta a-tehta-on-yanta
              >
              >Right now I'm leaning towards option c in each case,
              >but I'd be grateful for any advice!

              Keep on leaning that way! I've been writing my diary in an English
              tehta mode since 1983, and I use the spellings that you give as (c)
              for both of these words. They're not the only acceptable options, of
              course, but they're both perfectly valid.

              Arden R. Smith erilaz@...

              --Lewis Carroll,
              _Through the Looking-glass_