Re: Is this translation right?

  • fedewan2002
    Message 1 of 15 , May 2, 2002
      Jajaja You are right Gildor.
      I mean the elvish letters i will use are not the ones of the ring.
      Now that you told me that is Sindarin, I will use Sindarin letters.

      Trank You Gildor.

      --- In elfscript@y..., Gildor Inglorion <elfiness@y...> wrote:

      > teithant fedewan2002
      >
      > > Then Which is the correct translation. Can you write it for me?
      >
      > * what Danny says is correct, of course.. :) so you must replace
      ven with men

      > > And about the ring: I won't write those words in the black
      speech,
      > but in Quenya.
      >
      > * but we translated it in Sindarin, as you asked!

    • jaedaduck
      Message 2 of 15 , May 16, 2002
        Hi! i'm planning to get a tatoo and i want it to be in tengwar
        cursive. I was wondering if anyone knew how to write my name in this
        language. If you do, i would appreciate it if u can e-mail me how it
        looks like. My name is JACQUELINE and my e-mail address is
        Jaedaduck@.... Thanks you guys
        Message 3 of 15 , May 16, 2002
          teithant jaedaduck

          > Hi! i'm planning to get a tatoo and i want it to be
          > in tengwar
          > cursive. I was wondering if anyone knew how to write
          > my name in this
          > language. If you do, i would appreciate it if u can
          > e-mail me how it
          > looks like. My name is JACQUELINE and my e-mail
          > address is
          > Jaedaduck@.... Thanks you guys

          * the alnguages we work on are Quenya and Sindarin..
          tengwar cursive is a writing style for writing those
          and many other languages.. so, what do you mean bye "translation"?

        • necromancer185
          Message 4 of 15 , May 18, 2002
            Hey I'm new and I'm justgetting into this whole...LOTR linguistics
            scene.....but personally I Think the ring is wonderfully poetic and a
            powerful bond of love...Though the One Ring was bound to the bearer
            in an all consumeing love that was overwhelming and could be brought
            to the heights of great darkness...It was also responsible for the
            shapeing of many great things in its path.....is not love a bitter
            vice that stings the heart and tears the soul.....It is an evil all
            consumeing power that can drive men mad....It is an obsession that
            devoids men of pride and control....But in the path of it's
            destruction lies the fruits of purity and grace....the warmth of
            compassion and the bringing together of two people in an inseperable
            bond....It is easy to mind only one view but to see as the Taoists do
            the great duality of nature....One finds the roses amongst the thorns
            and does not step away for fear of the prick....But embraces gently
            the whole of the bush.......
          • Harri Perälä
            Message 5 of 15 , May 19, 2002
              Gildor Inglorion wrote:

              > teithant jaedaduck
              > > Hi! i'm planning to get a tatoo and i want it to be
              > > in tengwar cursive. I was wondering if anyone knew how to write
              > > my name in this language.
              > [...] so, what do you mean bye "translation"?

              Perhaps there should be some kind of a checklist that would help people
              make more detailed requests?

              How about this:

              (HTML version: <http://www.sci.fi/%7ealboin/elfscript/minifaq.htm>)

              How do I write [phrase] in Elvish?

              This question is ambiguous: there are several languages and several
              writing systems that can be called "Elvish". List members can help you
              better if you specify some of the following things:

              What language?

              Assuming your text is in English, would you like it to be translated
              into one of the Elvish languages before writing it in Elvish letters?
              Quenya and Sindarin are complete enough to make (some) translations
              possible. However, bear in mind that detailed discussions about the
              languages belong rather to Elfling.

              What writing system?

              You are probably thinking about the Tengwar (translated by Tolkien as
              "letters"), though there are also the Cirth ("runes") and the Sarati
              (the predecessor of the Tengwar). Examples of Tengwar in The Lord of the
              Rings include the inscriptions on the One Ring and the West Gate of
              Moria.

              What mode?

              The Tengwar writing system was adapted for many languages, and thus
              there came to be several ways of writing in Tengwar. These are known as
              modes. For some languages, only one mode is known; for others, there are
              several choices. For a listing, see Tengwar Modes at Amanye Tenceli.

              Modes fall into two main categories: the full writing modes, where
              vowels have their own letters, and the tehta modes, where vowels are
              represented by dots, curls and other small marks. If you prefer one of
              these ways, let us know.

              Transcriptions of English phrases are requested most frequently. Tolkien
              experimented with several modes for writing English, sometimes using
              traditional orthography as a basis, sometimes representing the actual
              pronunciation more directly. Texts in both full writing and tehta modes
              have been published. Different people are likely to have different
              opinions on which of these modes to use (and the details of applying the
              mode). In message 651 Daniel Andriës describes one of the possibilities,
              the so-called "King's Letter" mode, and explains why he prefers it for
              writing English.

              What calligraphic style?

              The Lord of the Rings contains a few examples of different styles of
              Tengwar writing: the "flowing script" of the Ring inscription, the round
              shapes in the writing on the Moria gate, and the "formal book-hand" in
              Appendix E. Many settle for computer fonts for creating inscriptions,
              though some find them a poor substitute for traditional calligraphy.
              Note that calligraphic styles and fonts that represent them are
              independent of language and mode.

              Additional advice:

              Here are some tips that have been given to people looking for help with
              Elvish inscriptions:

              In message 565, Brook Conner writes:

              I'll just suggest to readers that at least making a try before posting a
              question to the list is a good idea.... We obviously don't have much
              problem here with students asking for homework answers, but it's nice to
              see that someone has made an effort....

              How to get started with learning the Tengwar? The Mellonath Daeron FAQ
              suggests:

              Begin with Appendix E of The Lord of the Rings. Then, analyze a couple
              of Tolkien's tengwar samples. See the DTS (the Mellonath Daeron Tengwar
              Specimina) for a list.

              For online resources, see Elfling FAQ 1.8 ("Where can I get fonts for
              Tolkien’s alphabets? How can I learn to write them?").

              Have you come up with better ways of explaining these concepts? Are
              there factual errors in these explanations?

              If someone feels like creating a real FAQ for the group some day, and
              there is anything useful in the above, feel free to do whatever you like
              with it.

              --
              Harri Perälä perala@... http://www.sci.fi/%7ealboin/
            • Alf Gandson
              Message 6 of 15 , May 27, 2002
                teithant Harri Perälä <harri.perala@...>:

                >Note that calligraphic styles and fonts that
                represent
                >them are independent of language and mode.

                But only if you don't count the tehtar as a
                calligaphic style. Well, I know they're more than
                calligraphic style, but at least for me, they are most
                characteristic for the appearance -and thus also for
                the calligraphics- of any tehtar-mode. I suppose that
                people after their first contact with a (tehtar-mode)
                tengwar sample (the LotR title page inscription or so)
                will remember the tehtar, because they are most
                unusual for eyes accustomed to latin letters.

                Further on, I have been very surprised when I had
                written some lines in a french mode which had no
                additional tengwar but lambe (and rarely uure): It
                looked very different from english tengwar samples.
                (Perhaps the difference was in the lack of diagonals
                as in roomen, the silme-tengwar or hyarmen.)

                suilaid, alf

                Cobertura especial de la Copa Mundial de la FIFA Corea-Japón 2002, sólo en Yahoo! Deportes:
                http://ar.sports.yahoo.com/fifaworldcup/
              • akasha66502
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 5, 2004
                  I'm trying to translate my name into tengwar, but need to know if this
                  is correct. These are the keystrokes for my name using the OTT
                  81iE~V

                  Thanks
                  Stacee
                • i_degilbor
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 6, 2004
                    Teithant Stacee:
                    > I'm trying to translate my name into tengwar,

                    Transcribe, not 'translate'.

                    >but need to know if this is correct. These are the keystrokes for
                    my name
                    >using the OTT
                    > 81iE~V

                    Personally, I would spell the 'ee' in your name the same way that
                    Tolkien spelt in on the LotR title page in the word 'seen', so my
                    suggestion would be: 81iE`V`V