Spam

  • Danny Andriës
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 30 12:30 AM
      What's with all the spam? Can anything be done to stop it? It was bad enough
      dealing with the advertisements when Yahoo took over e-groups, but this?

      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 30 3:00 AM

        teithant Danny Andriλs

        >What's with all the spam? Can anything be done to stop it? It was bad enough
        dealing with the advertisements when Yahoo took over e-groups, but this?

        * i think it's a virus.. I have received many personal mails from various posters (Eg. icq_admin) with some topics like "a great opportunity", "a funny game" etc.. if you notice their sizes they are over 100 kb large... it seems elfscript is a receiver of those infested mails as well, and resending them to as as a result..

        I dont know how dangerous it is, but i am useing a web-based account anyway

      • Liesbeth Flobbe
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 30 6:34 AM
          On Tue, Apr 30, 2002 at 11:00:48AM +0100, Gildor Inglorion wrote:

          > * i think it's a virus.. I have received many personal mails from
          > various posters (Eg. icq_admin) with some topics like "a great
          > opportunity", "a funny game" etc.. if you notice their sizes they are
          > over 100 kb large... it seems elfscript is a receiver of those
          > infested mails as well, and resending them to as as a result..

          Well, I can't scan for you from here. But it has an attachment that is
          definitely a Windows executable. More-ovr, the Mimi-headers suggest that
          it isn't, which makes it even more conspicuous. And the body of the e-mail
          contains a useless, empty IFRAME-element(yeah, that's HTML) that points to
          the attachment. I've been told that this can trigger automatic execution
          of the attachment in very old outlook-Iexplore-combo's.

          So I don't think even a spammer would do this if it weren't something
          harmful.

          > I dont know how dangerous it is, but i am useing a web-based account
          > anyway.

          And I'm using Mutt (on Linux) through a telnet connection. I couldn'
          run the attachment even if a wanted to.

          Bye,

          Liesbeth
        • elee3533
          Message 4 of 4 , May 1, 2002
            --- In elfscript@y..., Gildor Inglorion <elfiness@y...> wrote:

            > teithant Danny Andriës
            >
            > >What's with all the spam? Can anything be done to stop it? It
            was bad enough
            > dealing with the advertisements when Yahoo took over
            e-groups, but this?

            > * i think it's a virus.. I have received many personal mails from
            various posters (Eg. icq_admin) with some topics like "a great
            opportunity", "a funny game" etc.. if you notice their sizes they are
            over 100 kb large... it seems elfscript is a receiver of those
            infested mails as well, and resending them to as as a result..

            > I dont know how dangerous it is, but i am useing a web-based
            account anyway

            Can the Moderator block these emails? Viruses are NOT cool,
            and I actually clicked on the "new website" one thinking it was
            relevant to ElfScript and now I'm afraid of having downloaded
            something terrible...