Re: [elfscript] Quick Question

  • erilaz@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 26, 2000
      Stephen Ross wrote:

      >Are there
      >spaces between words?

      There can be, but they're not required. There aren't any on the _LotR_
      title page or in the Ring-inscription, but there are on the Moria Gate and
      in the texts in _The Road Goes Ever On_.

      >And what about other punctuation? Dan's excellent
      >font includes a lot of characters that are labelled various things, question
      >mark, exclamation point, etc, but are those "authentic" or surmised?

      They're legit. See especially the tengwar texts in _The Road Goes Ever On_
      and _Sauron Defeated_ for examples.

      Arden R. Smith erilaz@...

      --Lewis Carroll,
      _Through the Looking-glass_
    • Mans Bjorkman
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 29, 2000
        Arden Smith wrote:

        > Stephen Ross wrote:
        >
        > >Are there
        > >spaces between words?
        >
        > There can be, but they're not required. There aren't any on the _LotR_
        > title page or in the Ring-inscription, but there are on the Moria Gate and
        > in the texts in _The Road Goes Ever On_.

        I actually think there are spaces in the title page inscription. True,
        many words seem to have no spaces between them, but in other places
        there can be no doubt there are spaces, e.g. around the word "ring". The
        ring inscription does without spaces, though. Perhaps lack of spaces is
        one of the qualities that made the mode of this inscription "ancient".

        > >And what about other punctuation? Dan's excellent
        > >font includes a lot of characters that are labelled various things, question
        > >mark, exclamation point, etc, but are those "authentic" or surmised?
        >
        > They're legit. See especially the tengwar texts in _The Road Goes Ever On_
        > and _Sauron Defeated_ for examples.

        The "roman" punctuation found in Dan Smith's fonts was used by Tolkien
        only for inscriptions in English, and primarily in early ones, probably
        before he had figured out what punctuation the Elves actually used.

        Yrs,
        Måns

        --
        Måns Björkman "Mun þu mik!