Primative Rumil/Tengwar

  • Michael Adams
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 28, 2002
      I know from experiance that most that I know of scripts on Earth started
      out as pictures scratched, then drawn, and then penned.

      Going from showing things, then concepts, and then sounds (men for
      example), then syllyble and often as well going to sounds (s,th and like).

      Rumils letters were the sound form or the syllyble form. With no
      previous state. I know the Vala/Maia are telepaths or like, so they did
      not need written letters as much as we do. But they still needed I
      expect, atleast for the Elves, a more permenant way to remember things.

      But they seem to have gone directly from pictures to letters for sounds.
      And the letters are two well developed. If you were to see ancient
      Attican Greek, you would not think it was the ancestor of modern Roman
      characters, but it is. Going further back, you would not think Phonecian
      or related script was the ancestor of Aramaic/Hebrew characters, as
      well as Arabic, and Roman and Greek/Cyrillic. But it is.. So for all we
      have mostly seen is what is put on monuments and like. Not sure of the
      lineasge is based on Cuniforms (which stared as scratch pictures, but
      later was formed into wedges (cuniform=wedged form)).

      Sorry, just Professor Tolkien was not a Paleographer (one who studies
      ancient writing system.) Me I am an amatuer at it.

      True, a script could be done full form, see Cree/Inuit Syllybary.

      Mike
      Alaska
    • Alf Gandson
      Message 2 of 2 , May 15, 2002
        Michael Adams teithant:
        >I know from experiance that most that I know of
        scripts
        >on Earth started out as pictures scratched, then
        drawn,
        >and then penned.

        >Going from showing things, then concepts, and then
        sounds
        >(men for example), then syllyble and often as well
        going
        >to sounds (s,th and like).

        All scripts on Earth are (at least most probably)
        invented by human, by mortal human. I think, one of
        several good reasons why to have a writing is to
        preserve knowledge from disappearing when the one who
        knows, dies. But Elves are immortal. So wouldn't they
        have other reasons to develop a writing than humans
        had? Perhaps they invented their writing because the
        noldor, who wanted to know everything, had gotten to a
        deep knowledge of the sounds of the language they
        loved and then a genious noldor artist found a
        beautiful way to draw that knowledge - and by the way
        he invented the first writing system.

        This is very speculative, but I think we mustn't
        compare Elvish knowlege to human.

        suilaid, alf

        Conectate a Internet GRATIS con Yahoo! Conexión:
        http://conexion.yahoo.com.ar