Re: [elfscript] Quick Question

  • Stephen Ross
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 25, 2000
      well yes, yes I do! Thanks guys... Although being a biolgist rather than a
      liguist, I have NO clue what ya'll just decided... hee hee I'm sure it was
      important though!

      Got another question, if you don't mind. How much punctuation was actually
      used? I've seen the various title pages, and there wasn't much used at all.
      Hard to tell if there is even a space between words sometimes. Are there
      spaces between words? And what about other punctuation? Dan's excellent
      font includes a lot of characters that are labelled various things, question
      mark, exclamation point, etc, but are those "authentic" or surmised? Just
      curious...

      Thanks!

      Stephen

      http://profiles.msn.com
    • erilaz@earthlink.net
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 26, 2000
        Stephen Ross wrote:

        >Are there
        >spaces between words?

        There can be, but they're not required. There aren't any on the _LotR_
        title page or in the Ring-inscription, but there are on the Moria Gate and
        in the texts in _The Road Goes Ever On_.

        >And what about other punctuation? Dan's excellent
        >font includes a lot of characters that are labelled various things, question
        >mark, exclamation point, etc, but are those "authentic" or surmised?

        They're legit. See especially the tengwar texts in _The Road Goes Ever On_
        and _Sauron Defeated_ for examples.

        Arden R. Smith erilaz@...

        --Lewis Carroll,
        _Through the Looking-glass_
      • Mans Bjorkman
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 29, 2000
          Arden Smith wrote:

          > Stephen Ross wrote:
          >
          > >Are there
          > >spaces between words?
          >
          > There can be, but they're not required. There aren't any on the _LotR_
          > title page or in the Ring-inscription, but there are on the Moria Gate and
          > in the texts in _The Road Goes Ever On_.

          I actually think there are spaces in the title page inscription. True,
          many words seem to have no spaces between them, but in other places
          there can be no doubt there are spaces, e.g. around the word "ring". The
          ring inscription does without spaces, though. Perhaps lack of spaces is
          one of the qualities that made the mode of this inscription "ancient".

          > >And what about other punctuation? Dan's excellent
          > >font includes a lot of characters that are labelled various things, question
          > >mark, exclamation point, etc, but are those "authentic" or surmised?
          >
          > They're legit. See especially the tengwar texts in _The Road Goes Ever On_
          > and _Sauron Defeated_ for examples.

          The "roman" punctuation found in Dan Smith's fonts was used by Tolkien
          only for inscriptions in English, and primarily in early ones, probably
          before he had figured out what punctuation the Elves actually used.

          Yrs,
          Måns

          --
          Måns Björkman "Mun þu mik!