Perfect tense

  • may lee
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1, 2002
      Merry Meet everyone ,
      I would like to ask some questions on the
      perfect tense as in Quenya .

      (1)All perfect tense forms receive the endings of
      '-ie'( * The 'e' having two dots above) , right ?

      (2)How do you put those two dots above words like
      ortane , laurie etc ( Is it to do with the fonts or
      something else ?)

      (3)How does one know when to apply the prefix 'u' to
      words like utulie , the 'a' to 'mat-'( amatie in
      perfect tense ) or the 'i' to 'ric-' ( iricie in
      perfect tense )( Did i get these spellings correctly
      ?)?

      (4)Does one pronounce the words ending with 'e'(with
      the two dots above) as in Manwe( Man weh ?) , Orome(
      oro meh ?)

      Thank you for reading this message . I have
      more questions to come but I'll post these for thoday
      . Have a nice day !

      Blessed be ,
      Elizabeth

      Yahoo! Messenger - Instant Messaging, Instant Gratification. (Now with new emoticons!)
      http://messenger.yahoo.com.sg/
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 2, 2002

        teithant may lee

        > (1)All perfect tense forms receive the endings of

        '-ie'( * The 'e' having two dots above) , right ?

        * yes

        > (2)How do you put those two dots above words like

        ortane , laurie etc ( Is it to do with the fonts or
        something else ?)

        * in MS word you press ctrl-: + e, in html you write ë but the dots are not needed: they are just to indicate this final e is never silent

        > (3)How does one know when to apply the prefix 'u' to

        words like utulie , the 'a' to 'mat-'( amatie in
        perfect tense ) or the 'i' to 'ric-' ( iricie in
        perfect tense )( Did i get these spellings correctly
        ?)?

        * these prefixes form the perfect tense

        > (4)Does one pronounce the words ending with 'e'(with

        the two dots above) as in Manwe( Man weh ?)  , Orome(
        oro meh ?)

        * yes, and that is exactly what the dots indicate (you dont need them, since you already know that ALL final e's are pronounced)