Re: [elfscript] Tengwar Brush Calligraphy

  • Harri Perälä
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 25, 2002
      Here is my experiment with a brush:

      http://www.sci.fi/~alboin/images/tengwar_brush_aataremma.gif

      The only real innovation in this style are the bows in series II and IV
      (no examples in the text, but the two letters at the bottom are quessi).
      Leaving them partially open like that seemed to be more brush-friendly,
      although they are likely to get confused with bars above and below the
      letters (as this example demonstrates).

      --
      Harri Perälä perala@... http://www.sci.fi/%7ealboin/
    • Abrigon
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 26, 2002
        Also might want to extend the assenders and decenders.

        Also more use of hard and soft touches, namely just barely using the
        tip is soft. Major part of Japanese/Chinese calligraphy is the strokes
        and the pressure used, the flow of the letters..

        I expect I may have to find some brushes and do some work and scan it
        to show what I mean..

        I do know I had one format that was top/down, namely it is more like
        Mongolian (one form) in form..

        Mike

        --- In elfscript@y..., "Harri Perälä" <harri.perala@l...> wrote:
        > Here is my experiment with a brush:
        >
        > http://www.sci.fi/~alboin/images/tengwar_brush_aataremma.gif
        >
        > The only real innovation in this style are the bows in series II and
        IV
        > (no examples in the text, but the two letters at the bottom are
        quessi).
        > Leaving them partially open like that seemed to be more
        brush-friendly,
        > although they are likely to get confused with bars above and below
        the
        > letters (as this example demonstrates).
        >
        > --
        > Harri Perälä perala@l... http://www.sci.fi/%7ealboin/
      • Harri Perälä
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 29, 2002
          Abrigon wrote (commenting on my dabblings with a brush):

          > Also might want to extend the assenders and decenders.

          Thanks, I must try that if I make another attempt. I was trying to keep
          the letters from becoming overly large, so I made the stems as short as
          possible.

          > Also more use of hard and soft touches, namely just barely using the
          > tip is soft. Major part of Japanese/Chinese calligraphy is the strokes
          > and the pressure used, the flow of the letters..

          I assume that making the letters larger or using a smaller brush will
          help in making some touches "softer"? My example was probably done in
          too small a size to get much variation in line width.

          > I expect I may have to find some brushes and do some work and scan it
          > to show what I mean..

          Please do! I am totally ignorant of Japanese/Chinese calligraphy, but it
          would be interesting to see how these ideas would apply to the tengwar.

          --
          Harri Perälä perala@... http://www.sci.fi/%7ealboin/