Re: Sindarin and tengwar and letter J

  • Composer_78
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 11, 2002
      Hello,

      I'm a newbie to the Tengwar but not to Tolkien's work. I'm very
      interested in learning the Tengwar but I'm having trouble finding a
      letter by letter (or sound by sound as the case may be) translator.
      This seemed to be the place to find one, does anyone know of one? I
      checked the bookmarks and files but couldn't find anything. I've
      looked through the appendixes in the back of 'The Return of the King'
      and 'The Silmarillion' but I can't find the lettering for vowels.
      Have I just over looked it?

      James

      P.S. The 'J' sound is a what is called a soft 'G'. A voiceless 'G'
      is a 'G' that does not engage the vocal chords. A voiceless G sound
      comes out as a 'K'. How that applies to the Tengwar I don't yet
      know, but I took a year of Vocal Diction in college and felt the need
      to spread around the wonders of cognates.

      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 11, 2002

        teithant Composer_78

        > I'm a newbie to the Tengwar but not to Tolkien's work.  I'm very

        interested in learning the Tengwar but I'm having trouble finding a
        letter by letter (or sound by sound as the case may be) translator.
        This seemed to be the place to find one, does anyone know of one?  I
        checked the bookmarks and files but couldn't find anything.  I've
        looked through the appendixes in the back of 'The Return of the King'
        and 'The Silmarillion' but I can't find the lettering for vowels.
        Have I just over looked it?

        * http://gildor.freepage.gr/faq.html

        look for the word "tengwar"

        I have put there all the links i esteem.. hope that helps

      • Composer_78
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 11, 2002
          Thanks a bundle that was exactly what I needed.