Re: Sindarin and tengwar and letter J

  • Abrigon
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 10, 2002
      --- In elfscript@y..., "wolfiina" <susasebu@k...> wrote:
      > What letter should I use for J letter.
      > I couldn't find J anywhere.
      >
      > I'm trying to write name Jaffa with tengwar.
      >
      > thanks again :)
    • Composer_78
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 11, 2002
        Hello,

        I'm a newbie to the Tengwar but not to Tolkien's work. I'm very
        interested in learning the Tengwar but I'm having trouble finding a
        letter by letter (or sound by sound as the case may be) translator.
        This seemed to be the place to find one, does anyone know of one? I
        checked the bookmarks and files but couldn't find anything. I've
        looked through the appendixes in the back of 'The Return of the King'
        and 'The Silmarillion' but I can't find the lettering for vowels.
        Have I just over looked it?

        James

        P.S. The 'J' sound is a what is called a soft 'G'. A voiceless 'G'
        is a 'G' that does not engage the vocal chords. A voiceless G sound
        comes out as a 'K'. How that applies to the Tengwar I don't yet
        know, but I took a year of Vocal Diction in college and felt the need
        to spread around the wonders of cognates.

        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 11, 2002

          teithant Composer_78

          > I'm a newbie to the Tengwar but not to Tolkien's work.  I'm very

          interested in learning the Tengwar but I'm having trouble finding a
          letter by letter (or sound by sound as the case may be) translator.
          This seemed to be the place to find one, does anyone know of one?  I
          checked the bookmarks and files but couldn't find anything.  I've
          looked through the appendixes in the back of 'The Return of the King'
          and 'The Silmarillion' but I can't find the lettering for vowels.
          Have I just over looked it?

          * http://gildor.freepage.gr/faq.html

          look for the word "tengwar"

          I have put there all the links i esteem.. hope that helps

        • Composer_78
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 11, 2002
            Thanks a bundle that was exactly what I needed.