Re: [elfscript] Sindarin and tengwar and letter J

    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 9, 2002

      teithant Danny Andriλs

      >I'm trying to write name Jaffa with tengwar.

      Of course, the Eldarin langages don't have a 'J'. Well, they have IPA [j],
      but that's not used in Tolkien's romanised spelling. For English 'J' use
      'anga'.

      * i think this is one of the cases where the english mode is used:)

    • Abrigon
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 10, 2002
        Try using GH.. Since J is basically a voiceless G (I think).. Or you
        could use a variation of Y, but ..

        Mike

        --- In elfscript@y..., "wolfiina" <susasebu@k...> wrote:
        > What letter should I use for J letter.
        > I couldn't find J anywhere.
        >
        > I'm trying to write name Jaffa with tengwar.
        >
        > thanks again :)
      • Abrigon
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 10, 2002
          --- In elfscript@y..., "wolfiina" <susasebu@k...> wrote:
          > What letter should I use for J letter.
          > I couldn't find J anywhere.
          >
          > I'm trying to write name Jaffa with tengwar.
          >
          > thanks again :)
        • Composer_78
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 11, 2002
            Hello,

            I'm a newbie to the Tengwar but not to Tolkien's work. I'm very
            interested in learning the Tengwar but I'm having trouble finding a
            letter by letter (or sound by sound as the case may be) translator.
            This seemed to be the place to find one, does anyone know of one? I
            checked the bookmarks and files but couldn't find anything. I've
            looked through the appendixes in the back of 'The Return of the King'
            and 'The Silmarillion' but I can't find the lettering for vowels.
            Have I just over looked it?

            James

            P.S. The 'J' sound is a what is called a soft 'G'. A voiceless 'G'
            is a 'G' that does not engage the vocal chords. A voiceless G sound
            comes out as a 'K'. How that applies to the Tengwar I don't yet
            know, but I took a year of Vocal Diction in college and felt the need
            to spread around the wonders of cognates.

            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 11, 2002

              teithant Composer_78

              > I'm a newbie to the Tengwar but not to Tolkien's work.  I'm very

              interested in learning the Tengwar but I'm having trouble finding a
              letter by letter (or sound by sound as the case may be) translator.
              This seemed to be the place to find one, does anyone know of one?  I
              checked the bookmarks and files but couldn't find anything.  I've
              looked through the appendixes in the back of 'The Return of the King'
              and 'The Silmarillion' but I can't find the lettering for vowels.
              Have I just over looked it?

              * http://gildor.freepage.gr/faq.html

              look for the word "tengwar"

              I have put there all the links i esteem.. hope that helps

            • Composer_78
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 11, 2002
                Thanks a bundle that was exactly what I needed.