Re: [elfscript] Sindarin and tengwar and letter J

  • Danny Andri�s
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 9, 2002
      Teithant wolfiina:

      >What letter should I use for J letter.
      >I couldn't find J anywhere.
      >
      >I'm trying to write name Jaffa with tengwar.

      Of course, the Eldarin langages don't have a 'J'. Well, they have IPA [j],
      but that's not used in Tolkien's romanised spelling. For English 'J' use
      'anga'.

      Cuio mae. Danny.

      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 9, 2002

        teithant Danny Andriλs

        >I'm trying to write name Jaffa with tengwar.

        Of course, the Eldarin langages don't have a 'J'. Well, they have IPA [j],
        but that's not used in Tolkien's romanised spelling. For English 'J' use
        'anga'.

        * i think this is one of the cases where the english mode is used:)

      • Abrigon
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 10, 2002
          Try using GH.. Since J is basically a voiceless G (I think).. Or you
          could use a variation of Y, but ..

          Mike

          --- In elfscript@y..., "wolfiina" <susasebu@k...> wrote:
          > What letter should I use for J letter.
          > I couldn't find J anywhere.
          >
          > I'm trying to write name Jaffa with tengwar.
          >
          > thanks again :)
        • Abrigon
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 10, 2002
            --- In elfscript@y..., "wolfiina" <susasebu@k...> wrote:
            > What letter should I use for J letter.
            > I couldn't find J anywhere.
            >
            > I'm trying to write name Jaffa with tengwar.
            >
            > thanks again :)
          • Composer_78
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 11, 2002
              Hello,

              I'm a newbie to the Tengwar but not to Tolkien's work. I'm very
              interested in learning the Tengwar but I'm having trouble finding a
              letter by letter (or sound by sound as the case may be) translator.
              This seemed to be the place to find one, does anyone know of one? I
              checked the bookmarks and files but couldn't find anything. I've
              looked through the appendixes in the back of 'The Return of the King'
              and 'The Silmarillion' but I can't find the lettering for vowels.
              Have I just over looked it?

              James

              P.S. The 'J' sound is a what is called a soft 'G'. A voiceless 'G'
              is a 'G' that does not engage the vocal chords. A voiceless G sound
              comes out as a 'K'. How that applies to the Tengwar I don't yet
              know, but I took a year of Vocal Diction in college and felt the need
              to spread around the wonders of cognates.

              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 11, 2002

                teithant Composer_78

                > I'm a newbie to the Tengwar but not to Tolkien's work.  I'm very

                interested in learning the Tengwar but I'm having trouble finding a
                letter by letter (or sound by sound as the case may be) translator.
                This seemed to be the place to find one, does anyone know of one?  I
                checked the bookmarks and files but couldn't find anything.  I've
                looked through the appendixes in the back of 'The Return of the King'
                and 'The Silmarillion' but I can't find the lettering for vowels.
                Have I just over looked it?

                * http://gildor.freepage.gr/faq.html

                look for the word "tengwar"

                I have put there all the links i esteem.. hope that helps

              • Composer_78
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 11, 2002
                  Thanks a bundle that was exactly what I needed.