Re: [elfscript] Sindarin and tengwar and letter J

    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 7, 2002

      teithant wolfiina

      > What letter should I use for J letter.
      I couldn't find J anywhere.

      * look at hem.passagen.se/mansb/at, where the english mode is discussed

    • Danny Andri�s
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 9, 2002
        Teithant wolfiina:

        >What letter should I use for J letter.
        >I couldn't find J anywhere.
        >
        >I'm trying to write name Jaffa with tengwar.

        Of course, the Eldarin langages don't have a 'J'. Well, they have IPA [j],
        but that's not used in Tolkien's romanised spelling. For English 'J' use
        'anga'.

        Cuio mae. Danny.

        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 9, 2002

          teithant Danny Andriλs

          >I'm trying to write name Jaffa with tengwar.

          Of course, the Eldarin langages don't have a 'J'. Well, they have IPA [j],
          but that's not used in Tolkien's romanised spelling. For English 'J' use
          'anga'.

          * i think this is one of the cases where the english mode is used:)

        • Abrigon
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 10, 2002
            Try using GH.. Since J is basically a voiceless G (I think).. Or you
            could use a variation of Y, but ..

            Mike

            --- In elfscript@y..., "wolfiina" <susasebu@k...> wrote:
            > What letter should I use for J letter.
            > I couldn't find J anywhere.
            >
            > I'm trying to write name Jaffa with tengwar.
            >
            > thanks again :)
          • Abrigon
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 10, 2002
              --- In elfscript@y..., "wolfiina" <susasebu@k...> wrote:
              > What letter should I use for J letter.
              > I couldn't find J anywhere.
              >
              > I'm trying to write name Jaffa with tengwar.
              >
              > thanks again :)
            • Composer_78
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 11, 2002
                Hello,

                I'm a newbie to the Tengwar but not to Tolkien's work. I'm very
                interested in learning the Tengwar but I'm having trouble finding a
                letter by letter (or sound by sound as the case may be) translator.
                This seemed to be the place to find one, does anyone know of one? I
                checked the bookmarks and files but couldn't find anything. I've
                looked through the appendixes in the back of 'The Return of the King'
                and 'The Silmarillion' but I can't find the lettering for vowels.
                Have I just over looked it?

                James

                P.S. The 'J' sound is a what is called a soft 'G'. A voiceless 'G'
                is a 'G' that does not engage the vocal chords. A voiceless G sound
                comes out as a 'K'. How that applies to the Tengwar I don't yet
                know, but I took a year of Vocal Diction in college and felt the need
                to spread around the wonders of cognates.

                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 11, 2002

                  teithant Composer_78

                  > I'm a newbie to the Tengwar but not to Tolkien's work.  I'm very

                  interested in learning the Tengwar but I'm having trouble finding a
                  letter by letter (or sound by sound as the case may be) translator.
                  This seemed to be the place to find one, does anyone know of one?  I
                  checked the bookmarks and files but couldn't find anything.  I've
                  looked through the appendixes in the back of 'The Return of the King'
                  and 'The Silmarillion' but I can't find the lettering for vowels.
                  Have I just over looked it?

                  * http://gildor.freepage.gr/faq.html

                  look for the word "tengwar"

                  I have put there all the links i esteem.. hope that helps

                • Composer_78
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 11, 2002
                    Thanks a bundle that was exactly what I needed.