Sindarin and tengwar and letter J

  • wolfiina
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 6 5:35 AM
      What letter should I use for J letter.
      I couldn't find J anywhere.

      I'm trying to write name Jaffa with tengwar.

      thanks again :)
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 7 9:01 AM

        teithant wolfiina

        > What letter should I use for J letter.
        I couldn't find J anywhere.

        * look at hem.passagen.se/mansb/at, where the english mode is discussed

      • Danny Andri�
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 9 5:24 AM
          Teithant wolfiina:

          >What letter should I use for J letter.
          >I couldn't find J anywhere.
          >
          >I'm trying to write name Jaffa with tengwar.

          Of course, the Eldarin langages don't have a 'J'. Well, they have IPA [j],
          but that's not used in Tolkien's romanised spelling. For English 'J' use
          'anga'.

          Cuio mae. Danny.

          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 9 8:20 AM

            teithant Danny Andriλs

            >I'm trying to write name Jaffa with tengwar.

            Of course, the Eldarin langages don't have a 'J'. Well, they have IPA [j],
            but that's not used in Tolkien's romanised spelling. For English 'J' use
            'anga'.

            * i think this is one of the cases where the english mode is used:)

          • Abrigon
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 10 3:51 PM
              Try using GH.. Since J is basically a voiceless G (I think).. Or you
              could use a variation of Y, but ..

              Mike

              --- In elfscript@y..., "wolfiina" <susasebu@k...> wrote:
              > What letter should I use for J letter.
              > I couldn't find J anywhere.
              >
              > I'm trying to write name Jaffa with tengwar.
              >
              > thanks again :)
            • Abrigon
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 10 3:51 PM
                --- In elfscript@y..., "wolfiina" <susasebu@k...> wrote:
                > What letter should I use for J letter.
                > I couldn't find J anywhere.
                >
                > I'm trying to write name Jaffa with tengwar.
                >
                > thanks again :)
              • Composer_78
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 11 5:14 AM
                  Hello,

                  I'm a newbie to the Tengwar but not to Tolkien's work. I'm very
                  interested in learning the Tengwar but I'm having trouble finding a
                  letter by letter (or sound by sound as the case may be) translator.
                  This seemed to be the place to find one, does anyone know of one? I
                  checked the bookmarks and files but couldn't find anything. I've
                  looked through the appendixes in the back of 'The Return of the King'
                  and 'The Silmarillion' but I can't find the lettering for vowels.
                  Have I just over looked it?

                  James

                  P.S. The 'J' sound is a what is called a soft 'G'. A voiceless 'G'
                  is a 'G' that does not engage the vocal chords. A voiceless G sound
                  comes out as a 'K'. How that applies to the Tengwar I don't yet
                  know, but I took a year of Vocal Diction in college and felt the need
                  to spread around the wonders of cognates.

                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 11 8:07 AM

                    teithant Composer_78

                    > I'm a newbie to the Tengwar but not to Tolkien's work.  I'm very

                    interested in learning the Tengwar but I'm having trouble finding a
                    letter by letter (or sound by sound as the case may be) translator.
                    This seemed to be the place to find one, does anyone know of one?  I
                    checked the bookmarks and files but couldn't find anything.  I've
                    looked through the appendixes in the back of 'The Return of the King'
                    and 'The Silmarillion' but I can't find the lettering for vowels.
                    Have I just over looked it?

                    * http://gildor.freepage.gr/faq.html

                    look for the word "tengwar"

                    I have put there all the links i esteem.. hope that helps

                  • Composer_78
                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 11 9:48 PM
                      Thanks a bundle that was exactly what I needed.